Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Snorkeling offshore

Posted by DanieleC on 6/7/2016 at 06:50

Hi all, I'm from Italy.

I'm searching for guesthouse/bungalow/hotel with the beach for good snorkeling from the shore in Sulawesi.
I've been in Maratua Guesthouse and Kanawa Island and I loved it.

Thanks in advance.
Daniele

#1 DanieleC has been a member since 3/6/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/7/2016 at 20:09 admin

Hi Daniele,

Have you considered the Togean Islands - there is plenty of decent snorkelling there...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by DanieleC on 7/7/2016 at 04:51

Can you suggest me a guesthouse/hotel/bungalow in Togean Islands where I can snorkel directly from the shore?

I'm thinking about CoralEye in Bangka Island.

#3 DanieleC has been a member since 3/6/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/7/2016 at 17:39 admin

I don't know about Bangka as have not been there sorry, but most of the Togeans offer at least some snorkelling straight off the beach (or off of their piers).

See the accommodation listings in the Togean Islands section for more details.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 9/7/2016 at 22:30

Hey DanieleC, do you ever heard about "BUNAKEN" Island. this island is recommended to do snorkeling offshore and diving in Sulawesi.

#5 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by AlexChandra on 12/7/2016 at 14:08

Hay there, Kadidiri Island of Togean District it's the one you look for probably. Kadidiri Paradise Hostel is right front of the beach and the room with ocean view. At the front side of hotel you could do snorkeling. You could join with the group at the hotel to do diving/snorkeling trips around island or island hopping to see another dive spot at another islands around.

#6 AlexChandra has been a member since 12/7/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 3

Posted by SBE on 14/7/2016 at 03:59

The snorkeling off the shore isn't that great in the Togians compared to places like Kanawa... the best snorkeling is probably off Una Una but the beach isn't nearly as pretty as Kanawa.

Bunaken and Siladen have good snorkeling offshore but they're near Manado so they have a trash problem. Siladen has nicer beaches (especially round the back) and gets a bit less trash than Bunaken but it's more expensive to stay there.

Another option is Hoga Island...there's quite a good drop off about 300m offshore but you can only swim there at high tide. You have to wait for the tide to come in for boats as well. Last time I was there (about 5-6 years ago) it was still very quiet and unspoilt but you can fly most of the way now (Lion Air) so it may be busier these days. The beach is very nice but we only had a couple of hours electricity in the evenings and the water in the mandi was pretty salty which made it difficult to rinse underwater cameras.

If you can afford it, I'd chose Bangka.... I haven't been there (too expensive for me!). The snorkeling is likely to be as good or better than Bunaken/Siladen and you're further away from Manado's trash. However, you don't mention the time of year you want to go... I wouldn't go there December-March, the sea will be too rough.

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Posted by DanieleC on 27/7/2016 at 05:49

Thanks SBE!

I have read about the trash problem in bunaken/siladen and that's why I had excluded these.

Ok I think I will go in Bangka the next year, maybe in september 2017.

Thanks guys!

#8 DanieleC has been a member since 3/6/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by boleslav on 1/2/2017 at 17:18

we went to both Bunaken and Bangka last May, here are my 2 cents:

Bunaken- If you stay on the side where there are accommodations like Lorenzos, Two fish etc. you can do snorkeling right off the shore, and frankly to us it seemed to have the best snorkeling opportunities / corral etc. from all we saw (comparing this site to Sachikos point and Likuan 2-3)
Beach- no beach really, all is mangroves on this side of the island. Did not have any trash issue.
Bunaken is easy to get to.

Bangka - has OK beaches, depending on where you stay. Most places are pricey for what you get.
Pros- away from hoards of people, quieter.
More time to get to, more expensive to get to.
Snorkeling- you need to join the boats, not really good snorkeling off the shore, and boat trips are not cheap.
We splurged for once and enjoyed the snorkeling on Bangka, too.

#9 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 88

Posted by gomesal1 on 27/2/2017 at 23:52

Nice choice by the way. Bangka Islands are sure the marvel and breathtaking. You can get hands on these three hotel, which initially when I was on a tour enquired. I stayed at Hotel Santika Bangka. They are very lush and really had a great time there. You can also consider these hotels. I didn’t get these rest two hotels because of reservations, they were all full.

Murex Dive Bangka Resort
Hotel Mitra Garden
Hotel Santika Bangka

Other Snorkeling sites you can try is
Weh Island in Sabang - Aceh : I would recommend this, I have first hand experienced this. The area is very clear and can thoroughly enjoy the underwater with your friends.

#10 gomesal1 has been a member since 20/2/2017. Posts: 10

Posted by boleslav on 2/3/2017 at 07:56

to OP - before visiting Bunaken, we , too read about the trash problem.
We stayed on the side that is not facing Manado and believe me, there was no problem. Bunaken is well worth it.

Gomesal1- you are talking about different Bangka island.
The one I was referring to is in Sulawesi, has 5 different resorts, we loved Mimpi Indah.

#11 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 88

Posted by gomesal1 on 11/3/2017 at 05:36

@boleslav
Ohhh...ohkay. I thought about the other one. Never been that side, will love to explore. Can you give some info on the same?

#12 gomesal1 has been a member since 20/2/2017. Posts: 10

Posted by lindy0419 on 14/3/2017 at 04:36

If you have time the Wakatobi Islands off SE Sulawesi are stunning, quiet with very few tourists, mainly travellers. The coral is untouched on Tomia and you can hire a local fishing boat to take you to other small islands.

#13 lindy0419 has been a member since 14/3/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.