Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia- 10 days itinerary

Posted by lilianastahr on 22/8/2016 at 10:32

Hi all,
I'm planning to be in Indonesia in mid October for around 10 days. I'm well aware this is not nearly enough but it's all I have.
Because time is limited I was thinking to stay in an island not super difficult to reach but not too touristy.
All I'm looking for is a stunning beach to relax, do some snorkeling and explore the local culture in between swims!
Am I asking for too much? Does this place exist at all?
Indonesia has so many beautiful beaches that my search for a place has become quite a impossible mission.
Pulau Weh looks nice but I'm not sure how the weather is in mid October there as I've read it's monsoon in October/November there .
Sulawesi looks perfect but the place is big and I'm not sure how easy to reach are beautiful beaches.
Many thanks!

#1 lilianastahr has been a member since 22/8/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by savorygal on 27/8/2016 at 03:47

I would recommend Lombok & the Gili's. It's perfect for a short stay as it's easy to get to.

There are twice daily flights on Air Asia from/to KL to Lombok.

The weather in October should be beautiful.

You could spend some time exploring south Lombok, which has beautiful beaches (Tanjung An, Selong belanak, Kuta Beach) There are also some smaller islands in the South ( Gili Gede & Gili Asahan) which are off the beaten track.

Obviously the more popular "gilis" ( Trawangan, Meno & Air) are easy to get to & in October there will be few tourists. If you want a chilled vibe I would suggest Gili Air or the North side of Gili Trawangan.

You also might want to consider spending a few days on the foothills of Rinjani, Tete Batu ( South slope) is really beautiful & you can wander in the rice and see only locals and their ducks. Teres Genit ( North slope) is also really nice.

Avoid Sengiggi and it's seedy strip with overpriced resorts that hog up the beaches.

Lombok is often overlooked in favor of it's neighbor, Bali. But it has some beautiful spots and still, mostly, unspoiled by tourism.

Happy Travels

#2 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176

Posted by exacto on 27/8/2016 at 15:01

Based on what you say you are looking for, I think savorygal's suggestion of Lombok and the Gili's is spot on. We spent an amazing week on Gili Air about two years ago now, and fell in love with the place. There was decent swimming, good snorkeling trips, excellent food options, including several nightly fish bbq options and lots of gelato stands, and friendly local folks. There is a local culture alive and well there, and we felt we had a chance to interact with locals far beyond the usual you get as a foreign tourist.

If you were looking to add one more location to your itinerary, a few nights in Yogyakarta would be worth the effort. You should be able to fly directly from Yogyakarta to/from Lombok. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,840

Posted by lilianastahr on 8/9/2016 at 10:58

Thank you all for the messages. At first I thought the Gili's were not for me but after reading your post I did some research and thought it might be a perfect choice! Because of the flight schedule and prices I'm even considering going to Bali and from there going to the Gili's. Bali was never appealing to me because I was looking for a more authentic experience and pristine beaches, but after reading a little bit more about I decided that wouldn't be a bad idea to stay 2 or 3 days in Bali and the rest in Gili. Now my challenge is to decide what to see and do in Bali. I won't even try to do much because I don't plan to spend most of my time in traffic...

Well, thanks again! If you have any idea what shouldn't be missed in Bali in my 3 days, please let me know.

#4 lilianastahr has been a member since 22/8/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.