Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Indonesian free visa confusion (still)

Posted by SBE on 7/9/2016 at 11:54

The info on the embassy site mentioned in the FAQ section on TF http://www.indonesianembassy.org.uk/consular/consular_visa_type_free.html seems to indicate that the free 30 day visa is available at practically all airports since 2015 but I know for a fact this was still not true last March. ( Because I had to pay for a 30 day VOA in Makassar which is one of the "free" entry and exit airports on that list)

For my next wee jaunt in Indo I'm planning to arrive in Jakarta ( free visa) and leave from Makassar on the last day of validity.

I won't have time to get to Jakarta before the free visa expires if they refuse to let me leave from Makassar airport. Before I book my flight out of the country from Makassar I just wanted to recheck that it's now possible to LEAVE from any airport on a free visa.

Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

#1 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by gecktrek on 7/9/2016 at 15:52

hey, personally for peace of mind (after all it is indonesia), i would contact your local embassy for confirmation, and based on the outcome of that, set in place a 'plan b' exit strategy...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 160
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/9/2016 at 16:38 admin

Hi SBE,

Which FAQ are you referring to? as I can't see on the Indonesia visa page where I linked to that embassy page - please let me know if it is on another page I need to update.

But in answer to your question, yes, as far as I am aware, you can leave from any international port on a visa on arrival. I've not tried that personally (as I'm on a stay visa) but I haven't seen online complaints about people being caught out on this as were common last lear. Also, as per gecktrek, check with your local Indonesian embassy.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 8/9/2016 at 02:25

Thanks both of you.

Sorry Somtam, my mistake. What I actually meant was: "a question that's frequently asked on TF". Sorry about that!

I did a search prior to asking like a good girl and checked the FAQ page first, but the link I posted was from an answer by Mooball in April to a similar question. It said exactly the same thing regarding free entry airports but was from a 2015 official decree.

Your link says "effective from 2nd March 2016" and it so happens I entered on that date last time. Immigration at Makassar Airport did not seem to be aware they were supposed to be dishing out free visas.

Don't have an easy plan B due to travel logistics unfortunately... would have to leave 4 days earlier if plan A doesn't work.

OK will call the Indonesian Embassy in Paris to see if they know whether Makassar immigration staff have looked at their website recently!

Unless I'm misinterpreting what it says on the websites?

In both the 2015 and 2016 versions it says:
Entering and Exiting Indonesia on a free visa
AIRPORTS you can arrive AND depart from (29 in total):

(Followed by a list of 29 airports including Makassar)

How else are you supposed to interpret those words??

Sigh, OK will let you know if the embassy in Paris tells me something different...

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Posted by SBE on 8/9/2016 at 02:45

... so according to the embassy in Paris the free visas have been available at all 29 airports since March 24th 2016 which is very good news if it's true!

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.