Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Yet another accident on a Gili Fastboat

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2016 at 00:28 admin

Details are still sketchy, but it appears a fire/explosion on a Gili fastboat this morning has killed at least one, perhaps two foreign tourists.

As we've said on multiple occasions, in our opinion these boats should not be used as they're mostly run by cowboys with scant thought for safety -- use the slow ferry.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,093

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2016 at 01:39 admin

A few more details are in this story.

Some Indonesian media is reporting one of the tourists lost both feet, apparently severed by the ferries propellors.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,093

Posted by caroc on 15/9/2016 at 17:00

Horrible to see yet another tragedy on this route. Can you give any recommendations for the slow services? Or is there just one? I could google but it 's great to have personal experience. The islands (Java, Bali, Lombok and one of the Gilis) are on my itinerary for March. Thank you.

#3 caroc has been a member since 6/8/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2016 at 19:22 admin

When we go to Lombok, we use the slow ferry - leaves from Padang Bai lands at Lembar. Takes around four hours. From Lembar you can get transport up to the gilis, or just go to other ones like Gili Gede or Gili Layar - both are good but far quieter islands.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,093

Posted by savorygal on 16/9/2016 at 21:41

This accident is so tragic. Just another example of a culture with no sense of consequences. As someone who was involved in an bad boat accident on one of these fast boats I am feeling a bit freaked out. The attitude of the owner of the boat that I was on, was sort of like 'meh. **** happens. And what about me? I have a boat that that is out of the water & therefore i'm losing money, so I am suffering too'

I don't have any plans however to start taking the slow ferry from lembar ( ugh) or flying ( pfft what a hassle). I am relying on the laws of probability instead as surely I can't get blown up twice.... can I?

I have heard that there will be a meeting in Bali with all the government Big Shots to discuss this accident & general maritime safety here in Indonesia. I am not terribly optimistic, however, that any significant changes will be made. sigh.

#5 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 20/9/2016 at 04:24

it's just horrible things happen on the fast boat, i agreed slow boat or by plane it's more safe to travel to Gili islands or Lombok island. The standard of the operational procedure of the fast boat services, some fast boat companies didn't really pay attention very well. Based on personal experiences during my trips to Gili Islands via fast boat.

#6 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.