Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

My Guide to Visiting Pemuteran, Bali, Indonesia

Posted by peterrcole on 21/9/2016 at 16:41

It is nice to read your update on Pemuteran . My wife and I were there for 10 day(!) in August. There is basically one reason to go to Pemuteran, to snorkel or dive at Menjangan island in Bali Barat National Park. The snorkeling off the beach there, however, is not worthwhile at all. The reef restoration project is a great thing, but there is essentially nothing there now, just mud. For snorkeling off the beach in Bali, go to East Bali, not to Permueran in the north.

As the update states, Pemuteran is not a quiet village. Trucks roll through day and night. There is so much traffic that it is scary to walk down the one main road at night to get something to eat. Do bring a flashlight or at least a cell phone with a good flashlight app.

You are in Pemuteran for a single, expensive purpose, to go to Menjangan. All the dive shops are expensive, but some places are REALLY expensive (especially those inside the hotels). There are many, many dive shops. Just go up and down the street and comparison shop. One tip: ask about the group size, big boat or small boat. It really will affect the experience. You don't want to snorkel with 40 people instead of 4!

Food: We stayed at Adi Asri. It is a really nice though overpriced hotel, but the food was not good at all. (Breakfast is OK.) There was essentially no Indonesian food available. Portions are small. The food at the surrounding restaurants and warnings on the main street was pretty pitiful for the most part. There is a single exception, however. Step out the main gate of Adi Asri, go right, passing the ATMs, and a few steps later you will be at Man's Cottages. Go THROUGH the mediocre western restaurant at the entrance, and you will enter a lovely Balinese garden with a restaurant serving excellent Balinese food. It is the only place with decent Indonesian food that we found in Pemuteran. I would eat there every day!

In short, you CAN have a good experience in Pemuteran, but the place can also turn you off on Bali completely because it is noisy and expensive, especially for visiting Menjangan Island. (The other "attractions" are not very interesting and beware of the extremely aggressive monkeys in the temple.) Be careful tjhough, know what to expect, and it can be a good experience. This is not a place to experience Balinese culture; it is where you can stay comfortably when visiting Menjangan island. (P.S. The mosque is VERY loud.)

#1 peterrcole has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 1/10/2016 at 10:57

Hi Peterrcole, it's such nice of you to update the information of Pemuteran Area, based on your personal experiences. The Balinese Local food of your suggest, it would be help me or other people in this forum, who are visit this area. cheeers

#2 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by peterrcole on 1/10/2016 at 11:58

Thanks

#3 peterrcole has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by boundlessblue on 11/10/2016 at 22:49

Thanks for the information Peterrcole. You said that the east is better for off the shore diving. Any place in particular that you recommend?

#4 boundlessblue has been a member since 11/10/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by peterrcole on 11/10/2016 at 23:06

The Amed area. I would read the Travelfish Amed guide for details.

#5 peterrcole has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by lajoy9 on 14/10/2016 at 06:47

Thanks for the update peterrcole, I was maybe thinking on maybe going there but reading from your experience,I will save my time and money and skip it from my list. Extremely valuable post to me.

#6 lajoy9 has been a member since 10/9/2016. Posts: 29

Posted by peterrcole on 14/10/2016 at 11:45

I am glad it was helpful.

#7 peterrcole has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 5

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.