Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Sumba, Sumbawa and Flores

Posted by stevenjmartin on 2/10/2016 at 04:32

Hello,

A lot of people focus on Flores as a place to visit east of Lombok if you have already seen Bali and Lombok. However, I was wondering whether anyone has also explored Sumba wa and Sumba? Sumba gets an interesting write-up in Elizabeth Pisani's Indonesia Etc., while Sumbawa seems to be the most overlooked of the three - possibly with good reason?

#1 stevenjmartin has been a member since 15/3/2015. Posts: 20

Posted by gecktrek on 2/10/2016 at 07:16

hey, travelfish has a load of information on flores and has very recently updated it's information on sumba and sumbawa, so it would be very useful if you were planning on travelling there...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 178

Posted by Omri on 3/10/2016 at 09:41

Hey Steven,
I go to (west) Sumba all the time for business.
I made this film about it. Hope you like it.
https://youtu.be/PdeD0-IdbRE

Feel free to ask any questions, I know the place quite well...

Cheers,

Omri

#3 Omri has been a member since 3/10/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 4/10/2016 at 06:57

I did Sumbawa and Flores and loved them and Stewart has written up Sumbawa very recently in some detail so check out this site and then come back with some questions if you have any

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2016 at 01:34 admin

As mentioned above, both have been covered recently (this year) on Travelfish - I did Sumbawa, and another writer, Sally, covered Sumba - we each spent around 3 weeks covering each island.

So while I've not been to both, I'm read all our coverage of both, so with that in mind I'd say:

* Both of them have excellent beaches with some outstanding (in Sumbawa's case, world class) surf breaks.
* Sumba is definitely more expensive than Sumbawa - for transportation, but particularly for accommodation.
* It is easier to get a beer in Sumba than Sumbawa, but neither is dry.
* Neither see many tourists. In 3 weeks exploring Sumbawa top to tail, outside of the two surf regions I saw three foreigners in total. Sally's experience in Sumba was similar.
* There are very few upmarket resorts - Aman on Sumbawa and Nihiwatu on Sumba come to mind.
* Sumba has Pasola in Februaryish and the megalithic villages, Sumbawa has Tambora volcano and some very beautiful countryside. I enjoyed the towns, especially Sumbawa Besar - but Sumbawa doesn't have the same "villages worth visiting" thing in the way Sumba does, so, broad strokes, I'd say Sumba is a more "cultural" destination, while Sumbawa is more surfing, snorkelling, climbing volcanoes, visiting waterfalls etc
* While we were lucky enough to have the time to give each island three weeks, 10-days to 2 weeks would be a great taster for either.

Hope that helps

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.