Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

12 days in Indonesia

Posted by Juha_H on 3/10/2016 at 13:52

Hi there,
I'm travelling for two weeks in Indonesia between 22nd of Dec - 4th of Jan and going to the Komodo Island between 28.12-3.1. with Scuba Junkie Komodo.

I'm nature lover and I would like to do some adventures in the nature for couple of days between 22nd of Dec - 28th of Dec. Where should I go from Jakarta on 22.-28.12.? Should I stay in Java, or maybe go to Gili Islands, Lombok island, or others? I have been in Bali some years ago and it's full of tourists.

My itinary will be:
Arriving to Jakarta on 22th of December.

Need some tips where to go between 22.-28.12.
Travelling to Komodo on 28th of December from Bali (Denpasar) by plane. Leaving back home from Komodo through Bali and Jakarta on 4th of January.
I am just wondering which is most recommended nature adventure or national park over there in Java? I'm also looking for best wildlife and is there any wildlife animal sanctuaries somewhere? Is it necessary to book a tour guide to national parks, or should I just find my way with local transportation? Anything else to keep in mind before entering national park?
Like always, I don't have any special requirements for this trip. I just would to relax, see the nature if it is possible, see local Indonesian culture, enjoy beaches and do some wave surf and scuba diving in Komodo. What places would you recommend? I have understood that the nature attractions over there should be nice.
Thanks in advance for you tips :-)

#1 Juha_H has been a member since 13/12/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2016 at 02:00 admin

If you thought Bali was full of tourists, I'd definitely skip the Gilis! Perhaps consider one of the southern ones instead like Gili Gede or Gili Layar as an alternative?

In the six days in Java, perhaps do something like Yogya and Bromo? We have a sample one week itinerary for there here - though keep in mind Java is a big place! I can't help on the national parks though. For wildlife people tend to head further afield to Sumatra or Kalimantan and I don't think you'll have time for those.

Also remember in December, will be some rain.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by Juha_H on 5/10/2016 at 03:44

Great. I will check out Gili Gede and Gili Layar instead of Gili islands, because I'm not looking for very tourist crowded or overpopulated areas.

How crowded is it in Lombok, Gili Gede or Gili Layar during week between Christmas and New year's eve? Should I book accommodation in advance over there?

Is it raining all the time on late December?

#3 Juha_H has been a member since 13/12/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2016 at 17:17 admin

There is only one place to stay on Gili Layar and they only have five rooms (from memory) so yes a reservation for there would be prudent. On Gili Gede there are a few places to stay, so probably less of a need there -- but, if you know your dates, why not book?

Weather wise, I'd expect at least some rain most days as December/Jan is middle of wet season here.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by mooball on 24/10/2016 at 06:40 TF writer

Christmas time in Indonesia is peak season for domestic tourists. You'll battling locals everywhere you go. That's not necessarily a bad thing except that transport will be jammed wherever you go. Except of course if it's somewhere remote outside of Java.

I wouldn't recommend National Parks in Java over the Christmas period. Even outside of the Christmas period, you're going to find it extremely difficult to find a park with lots of animals. There just aren't that many left. The best one is Ujung Kulon which is extremely difficult to get into the heart of. At least there aren't many tourists there! If you really want to do Ujung Kulon over this period, head down to the park entrance and book directly with the rangers. They'll get you on a trek which probably will include some boat rides due to the nature of the terrain.

Aside from that, climbing volcanoes in Java is fun. Again, will be crowded at holiday time. But if you choose a less famous one, you won't have to contend with hundreds of people like you might on Papandayan or Semeru (or Rinjani in Lombok).

I'd be more inclined to make my way to East Java. Check out Yogya, Bromo and Kawah Ijen. They're crowded, but I think they're great attractions.

#5 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by hideout on 16/12/2016 at 02:15

Hi, try Gerupuk Hideout in Lombok for melow christmas. 6 km from Kuta Beach Lombok.

#6 hideout has been a member since 15/12/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.