Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Semarang

Posted by Digitarius on 21/10/2016 at 13:00

Has anyone been to Semarang ? If so, how does it compare to Bandung ? I am seriously thinking for staying in Bandung for several months. When I mentioned this to a friend who lives outside Bandung I mentioned I rather go where few tourists are. He said I should try Semarang or even Cianjur. Has anyone been to either of these places yet.

#1 Digitarius has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 20

Posted by amnicoll on 22/10/2016 at 05:39

Much depends on what you are looking for whilst you are there. bandung is a big city and you can easily avoid foreigners if you want . However do you want a big city or a small place?, near the sea? mountains? culture?

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by mooball on 24/10/2016 at 06:29 TF writer

I live in Bandung and see foreigners once every couple of weeks. There aren't many foreigner tourists here and those that do arrive are in predictable areas. Same goes for expats. Plenty of expats, but rarely see them!

Semarang is a much smaller city compared to Bandung. I like it and the traffic is nowhere near as bad as Bandung. Again, very few foreigners outside of a couple of spots. And even then you have to be on the lookout for them.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by sunawang on 25/10/2016 at 02:30

Agree with amnicoll. It all depends on what you are looking for. Semarang is a city with a number of historical landmarks like Lawang Sewu and Tugu Muda. You can also visit Ambarawa or Kota Lama for other historical buildings. I have to tell you that Semarang's weather is hotter than Bandung, especially around the city. But overall, Semarang is a nice city to visit. You will love it :)

#4 sunawang has been a member since 25/10/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.