Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

NYE - where to? Gilis Air? Gili T? Anywhere else?

Posted by carolhaddad on 5/11/2016 at 14:13

Hey there!

I'm travelling to Indonesia by the end of the year with my sister and a friend - late 20s, early 30s. Backpacker style - like meeting people, like getting to know local culture, authentic experiences, avoid fancy resorts, etc

We are having a hard time deciding where specifically to spend the NYE.
We would like to be at a party place - NYE afterall - but not too posh and not too wildly-college-people (I've been there, believe me, but it's over).

We were considering Gili Air, but some people said it too slow for a good NYE party.
Maybe Gili T, but then again, maybe a bit over the top?
Maybe somewhere else in Lombok, but where?

Anyways, if anybody has some advices, a good party suggestion or anything, I'd really appreciate! =)

Thanks a lot!
Cheers!

(btw, loved the site and forum, very good content!)

#1 carolhaddad has been a member since 5/11/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by rfhsanti on 19/11/2016 at 05:06

Hi Carol,

I went to Lombok last year during the year end holiday. I only spent Christmas Eve in Gili T, though, not the NYE. Although I am not a party person, I still went to one of the clubs as my friend, who likes to go partying, insisted on us going out at Christmas Eve (I was planning to sleep my night away *grins*).

Luckily, even for an introvert like me, the party places in Gili T were all right. The atmosphere was lively, people were having a good time, but not wildly over the top. I didn't recall seeing people being heavily drunk and then become annoying both in the club or on the streets, unlike in Bali where there are loads of them.

On NYE, I suppose it would be getting more crowded, but still 'safe' anyway for your preference. The upside of having NYE at Gili T is how easy it will be for you to wander between venues and catch the best action in places like Tir Na Nog (where I also spent Christmas Eve), Villa Ombak, and Pearl Beach Lounge. The fireworks display at midnight is supposed to be great, too. Also, if you're feeling too 'overwhelmed', you can always pack your backpack and escape to the quieter Gili Air or even Gili Meno the next day to have some recharging or healing time.

Other alternatives in Lombok would be Kuta Area and Senggigi . Kuta will be quieter, Senggigi will be......madness. Locals flock to Senggigi on NYE, and it turns to hell... I was trapped there on the street last NYE, not being able to move an inch for THREE hours in the sea of people and motorcycle. So not recommended for a NYE.

#2 rfhsanti has been a member since 19/11/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by carolhaddad on 19/11/2016 at 12:16

Hi rfhsanti,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

omg Senggigi sounds hell!

I think it's gonna be Gili T afterall. I already have a reservation there for 2 nights including NYE and before that I'll be in Gili Air (I think) so I'll have some time to explore a bit and try to figure it out the options and possibilities.

thank you!
cheers, Carol

#3 carolhaddad has been a member since 5/11/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by camilletexier on 10/12/2016 at 18:30

Hi there,
I came back from Gili Meno 2 weeks ago, and made a quick video about my best times over there... Have a look if you want to get an idea of what's going on on that amazing island !
Cheers, and safe travel all 1f603.png https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbH-ubZO2M

:D

#4 camilletexier has been a member since 10/12/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.