Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia in March

Posted by ashleymish on 18/12/2016 at 20:58

Hi All!

We are planning our 'flashpacking honeymoon' - 3 weeks in Indonesia starting early March, I have a semi-rough outline right now, we fly into Denpasar -> Bali (seminyak, ubud, sideman), maybe Gili islands (deciding which one(s)) and then still deciding from there. We aren't planning on heading towards Jakarta right now.
What is the best way to get between these cities? Within Bali how is the transportation? Would a taxi take us or would I be looking at buying bus tickets?

I'm really curious if any of you have experience with the weather and scuba diving during this time. I know it is still the rainy season, it's hard to tell online exactly how bad the visibility for diving will be. I have my open water, however my partner would like to do the course while we are there. Please reassure me that this will not be a lost cause?
We definitely want to do some other things like surfing, volcano hikes etc, so any other recommendations are welcome! I'm still doing my homework.
I also realized we will likely be in Bali during Nyepi Day, has anyone been in Bali during this time? When looking at hotels I'm getting an alert that there are no check ins or check outs on that day and generally Bali shuts down. Any expectations as a tourist? I'm assuming we will need to hang out at our hotel that day and keep it quiet from what I've been reading.

Thanks all!

#1 ashleymish has been a member since 18/12/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/12/2016 at 16:43 admin

March is tail end of wet season, so expect a bit of rain, but the weather quite all over the place, so difficult to be too definitive on it. Diving will be fine—depending on where you are there may be some river run off if there's been heavy rain, but the dive shops generally have a range of sites to go to, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Bali's primary dive sites are on the east and north coast—in the east Candi Dasa and along the north coast at Amed, Tulamben (for the Liberty Wreck) and Menjangan. I mention this only because you don't mention them, so are you planning on diving the Gilis rather than Bali? (If so, same weather advice holds).

Getting around on Bali, Seminyak to Ubud I'd just get a cab, Ubud to Sidemen you'll probably need to hire a car and driver or get a shared minibus (ask at a travel agent in Ubud). This is a common way of getting around.

Surfing and volcano hikes, Balis best waves are in the far south, on the Bukit peninsula (beaches like Padang Padang, Bingin, Balangan and so on). For volcano hikes, the two most popular climbs on Bali are Agung and Batur. Both can be done in a day, Batur is the easier of the two.

On Nyepi day you will not be permitted to leave the grounds of your hotel. No beach or swimming in the ocean and certainly no ducking down the road to the minimart! If it is a larger hotel you may be allowed within the grounds, say to the swimming pool, but nothing else. Smaller hotels and guesthouses may ask you to stay within the confines of the building. Pack a book!

Hope that helps—more questions, ask away.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by ashleymish on 19/12/2016 at 21:50

Thank you for all of the excellent information! This is super helpful! I love this website, I actually used this for my trip to Thailand a few years ago but can't seem to get back into my old account... anywho...

For the diving, I was about worried about the strength of the current that I was reading about, so I hadn't decided where exactly I wanted to dive. I am also trying to plan itinerary around not being able to leave the hotel for the day on Mar 9th.

I'm now thinking if we go straight to Ubud after landing, do 4 nights in Ubud (first night is really just landing and then bed), Sidemen for 2 nights and then the Mt Batur climb as a daytrip from Sidemen that might work well. Do you know if it's better to leave from Ubud or Sidemen for the climb? Or if we should head from Ubud straight over to Gunung Batur and spend the night close to the mountain?

The day after I'm thinking we can to Amed for 3 -4 nights, taking into account Nyepi day, and then travelling to the Gilis for 3 nights (or 4 if we leave Amed a day earlier), and then ferry Gili to Padangbai and hire a car down to [Jimbaran or Kuta or Seminyak] to finish our last 3 days. Our flight doesn't leave until after midnight so I think I'd like to be able to hang out at the beach before we start our 30hr trek home.

#3 ashleymish has been a member since 18/12/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/12/2016 at 04:52 admin

If you let me know the old account name I can probably combine the two - or just stick with this one...

As far as routing is concerned, Batur is easier done from Ubud than Sidemen as the latter is more Agung focussed. Any travel agent on the island will happily sell you a climb on either peak, but Batur is closer and more accessible from Ubud, so I'd reccy doing the climb from there. Something like arrive -> Ubud -> climb Batur -> Sidemen -> Amed -> Gilis -> Padang Bai -> Seminyak ete

I'm a big fan of the the seafood barbeques on Jimbaran Beach before a late evening flight!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by ashleymish on 21/12/2016 at 19:42

Yum! Thanks for the recommendations! Really appreciate the help :)

#5 ashleymish has been a member since 18/12/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Jganton on 9/2/2017 at 21:33

Hello, it sounds like we have very similar travel plans, questions and concerns. We will be arriving in Bali Mar 17, likely spending 6-7 days in Ubud, attending the Bali Spirit Fesitval, then trying to decide on Sideman, volcano hike, then best quiet beach location.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend a couple nights in Sideman or just travel back and forth from Ubud. Is Amed worth staying a few days for snorkelling. It it worth the time and travel to go to Gili Meno? We are only on vacation 2 weeks and want to be sure to have at least 4-5 days relaxing on a quiet beach - what would our best choice be - a beach on Bali or Gili Meno?

I realize this is an old post from Dec but perhaps someone will have good suggestions.

Thanks

#6 Jganton has been a member since 8/2/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by Jganton on 9/2/2017 at 21:34

Hello, it sounds like we have very similar travel plans, questions and concerns. We will be arriving in Bali Mar 17, likely spending 6-7 days in Ubud, attending the Bali Spirit Fesitval, then trying to decide on Sideman, volcano hike, then best quiet beach location.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend a couple nights in Sideman or just travel back and forth from Ubud. Is Amed worth staying a few days for snorkelling. It it worth the time and travel to go to Gili Meno? We are only on vacation 2 weeks and want to be sure to have at least 4-5 days relaxing on a quiet beach - what would our best choice be - a beach on Bali or Gili Meno?

I realize this is an old post from Dec but perhaps someone will have good suggestions.

Thanks

#7 Jganton has been a member since 8/2/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.