Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Car & Driver in Flores?

Posted by Danila on 30/12/2016 at 23:35

Greetings! Looking at https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/18-days-flores on here, renting a car and driver in Maumere and taking several days to drive to Labuan Bajo is strongly recommended. There's an approx cost of around 600,000 to 700,000 rupiah per day quoted.

Sounds good to me - so here's my questions: if it's over several days, and we book accommodation for ourselves, what about the driver? Do we book a room for him too, or what? How and where do we find a reputable driver?! And if we're just doing a one-way trip, I assume there's an extra cost for the driver to get back to Maumere, or is that already factored into the suggested cost?

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations gratefully accepted please!

cheers, Danila

#1 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 22
 Send Danila a private message   Website 

Posted by amnicoll on 31/12/2016 at 00:43

Ask at your hotel. Yes feed and house the driver

Alternative is to hire drivers for the day to take you to the next destination with stops on way to sight see -any of the share taxis will do this and you shouldn't need to pay for their return.

It's a lovely trip

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 856
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Danila on 31/12/2016 at 18:39

thanks! yes of course, we must feed and house the driver! I just wasn't sure if the rates quoted included that or not.
It would be good to try to get it set up before we get to the hotel, so we can make plans.
Thanks again!

#3 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 22

Posted by amnicoll on 1/1/2017 at 01:27

I can't help you there. You need to be clear with whoever you got the quote from exactly what is and is not included I can not double guess

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 856

Posted by TravelQueen2016 on 3/1/2017 at 11:50

You can also go to all of the place you want in Flores on the bemos (mini buses) they are very cheap and useful to get from A to B. They run every day too.
Check out this web site - it's very, very useful!:
http://thenotsoroughguide.co.uk/destination/indonesia-five-week-trip/

#5 TravelQueen2016 has been a member since 3/1/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 4/1/2017 at 01:42

Indeed they could but with limited time hiring your own car will mean being able to see and do much more.

For instance visiting the villages around Bema could be done on the way to Bajawa with much more time than heading straight to Bajawa and trying to sort something out in the afternoon.

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 856

Posted by mooball on 10/1/2017 at 01:17 TF writer

Using public transport in Flores is easy. But it doesn't go everywhere and it takes ages. I'd rule it out for most people on Flores. Just easier with a driver and you get to see more places because public transport doesn't go to a lot of the sites.

With that in mind, I've used drivers twice across Flores and both times I booked the driver the day before I went on the trip across the island. Drivers generally have a habit of finding you, but your hotel can always help.

A few years back I paid about 600.000 per day and that included the driver's food and accommodation costs. The driver is the one who organised all of my accommodation and that was done on arrival in each town mainly due to most hotels/guesthouses not being online.

Flores is one of those trips that is still quite a basic one. And pre-booking accommodation and drivers isn't really in the mainstream yet.

#7 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Danila on 11/1/2017 at 23:22

thanks for the info mooball, much appreciated!
cheers, Danila

#8 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.