Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

How long/best way to explore Kuta Lombok area beaches

Posted by MFLM2017 on 14/2/2017 at 07:45

Hi there

My partner and I will be travelling from Java to Lombok in April. We're looking at having 1 or 2 whole days around the Kuta area before we head north to the Gilis.

We land late in the evening but aren't sure whether to spend all of the following day and night in the area, or have two whole days and 2 nights before heading up to the Gilis.

we're not surfers but do love spending time walking and relaxing on the beach as well as swimming and eating/drinking at some nice places.

I'd be very grateful for advice on whether to stay in Kuta or Selong Balanak (where I've seen nice accommodation) Are there nice places to eat in the evening in both towns? Is there more to see in this area than just the beaches (which would justify a slightly longer stay - or should we have an extra day on one of the Gili islands - which I'm really looking forward to)

Also, I'd be really grateful for advice on how to (safely) get around the area. Is it easy to see the beaches like Selong Balanak, Mawan, Kuta in one day? Are there busses/shuttles between the beaches? Also grateful for advice re scooters (neither of us have ridden one before)

Thanks very much in advance!

#1 MFLM2017 has been a member since 14/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/2/2017 at 21:24 admin

Hi,

There are more places to eat and a greater range of accommodation in Kuta-Lombok rather than at Selong Balanak, though the latter is the far better beach.

The primary attraction are the beaches and the surf. There isn't much else to do really. If you have the time, I'd say it is worth two nights, especially as the main town is only about a 25 minute drive from the airport. We have a wrap on the surrounding beaches here (we reached all of these by car).

People tend to get around on scooters, though the roads both east and west (at least as far as the primary beaches) are also fine on a car. So, if you're not comfortable on a scooter you could hire a little car, you may also need to get a driver as I'm not sure if they rent the cars without a driver down there.

As far as I know there are no shuttle bus services between the beaches.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,800
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.