Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Cycling trip in Flores

Posted by Mirresmirre88 on 14/2/2017 at 23:53

Hi everyone! Was hoping to get some advice for my upcoming trip. This April I'll have three weeks to cycle Flores or parts of it. I'd also like to combine the cycling with some diving and volcano trekking. Has anyone got some tips for a rough itinerary? Do you know a place to hire a mountain bike in Flores? I'll have to catch at least three flights to reach the island and I'm guessing transporting a bicycle would be rather costly. Also, are the road conditions tolerable?

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank You :)

Miriam

#1 Mirresmirre88 has been a member since 14/2/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 15/2/2017 at 05:43

Generally the roads are in good condition but the island is very hilly and the roads narrow. If you hire a bike do not forget that you are going to have to double back in order to return the bike which may not be ideal

I loved Flores and there is plenty to see and do and I would suggest you read up more on this site as to where to go but basically I would imagine you would be heading to or from Maumere and labuan Bajo and taking side trips off the Trans Flores highway

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 856
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Mirresmirre88 on 15/2/2017 at 09:21

Thank you for the reply. May I ask what it means to "double back"? That I have to go back the same way?

I'll check out that link - cheers!

#3 Mirresmirre88 has been a member since 14/2/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/2/2017 at 23:54 admin

A great place to cycle as there is very little traffic and the roads are pretty good (by Indonesian standards). A bad place to cycle as it is very hilly!

I'm not sure how you would go renting a mountain bike there, if you could, I would guess Labuan Bajo would be your best bet to rent one. But if you couldn't rent one, you could consider buying one. An semi-decent solid mountain bike here costs US$100-200. Again, Labuan Bajo would be best bet, or Maumere (to the east).

Route wise, I'm assuming you're flying in from Bali to either Labuan Bajo (for a western start) or Maumere (for an eastern start) and in between the standard stops would be (from Labuan Bajo), Ruteng then Bajawa then Ende then Moni then Maumere and fly out.

The obvious side trip would be north from Bajawa to Riung and from here you can apparently head along the north coast to Maumere, though road not so good, and this is a quite isolated area.

You can dive from both ends, though better out from Labuan Bajo.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,842
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 16/2/2017 at 03:51

Of course if you hire you will have to return the bike to where you got it from and that would mean going back to your start point

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 856
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.