Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Java-Flores-Bali 2-week itinerary

Posted by elien on 17/2/2017 at 08:07

Hi guys!

I will be travelling to Indonesia with a friend in the beginning of May.

We were looking at some highlights to decide what we wanted to see in our 2-week holiday.

We would love to combine Yogyakarta (with Borobudur+Prambanan), Mount Bromo, Snorkelling and seeing the dragons at Komodo island, visiting Ubud and spend a few days at the beach...

We know it is a lot for 2 weeks.... The plan would then look like this:

Day 1: Leave at home airport
2 Arrival in Yogyakarta
3 Borobudur
4 Day in Yogya: palace of sultan and water palace + Prambanan
5 Drive to Bromo (11 hours) (via Solo), arrival at Bromo in the evening
6 Bromo sunrise, then drive to Surabaya (3,5 hours drive)
7 Flight to Flores from Surabaya
8 2-day boat trip to Komodo, Rinca, Kalong, ...
9 2-day boat trip to Komodo, Rinca, Kalong, ...
10 Flight to Bali
11 Ubud
12 Ubud
13 Beach in Bali (Sanur or Nusa Dua?, 2 hours drive)
14 Beach in Bali
15 Leave in Bali
16 Arrival at home

We were thinking that we should maybe skip Mount Bromo to have some more beach time in Bali...

Any suggestions or remarks?

Thanks in advance for any info!

#1 elien has been a member since 26/1/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/2/2017 at 18:22 admin

Hi,

Ok, that is a lot of ground to cover in two weeks. A lot.

A few thoughts:

1) I don't know that there are direct flights from Surabaya to Labuan Bajo (for Flores). Which airline were you looking at?

2) So if there are no direct flights, you'll need to go via Bali, in which case it would perhaps make more sense to do your Bali bit, before Komodo etc.

3) Personally I wouldn't rate Sanur or Nusa Dua as particularly great beaches, but a lot depends on what you're looking for in a beach. The beaches in other parts of the Bukit, say Balangan, Bingin and Padang Padang are all better beaches, but they are surf beaches - so depends what you are after. Sanur is about 1.5 hours from Ubud, Nusa Dua, 2+ hours (both depending on traffic).

4) The Bromo/Yogya bit would be more comfortable with an extra day - I'd consider taking that day off of Bali.

More questions, ask away.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,764
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by elien on 20/2/2017 at 03:27

Hi Somtam2000,

thanks a lot for your reply :)

1+2) Indeed no direct flights from Surabaya to Flores , we have to pass via Bali. The reason we put Bali last is to make the return flight a bit easier... But we could indeed do Bali first and Flores last, something to think about when we look up our flights...

3) We don't really look for surfing, but we do appreciate a nice beach where we can take a swim in the sea (maybe even with snorkel options closeby?)...
We would like to stay away from too busy places, but we would like the option to have a drink at a beach bar.
Thanks for your suggestions here, I will look into them :)

4) Would you think it is a good idea to travel that far just to see Mount Bromo? I read there is also a big chance that you can't see the vulcano due to fog/clouds... But if you can see it, it must be an amazing view...
By skipping Mount Bromo we have 2 extra days which we could spend in Yogyakarta, Labuan Bajo or somewhere in Bali and maybe add some rest in our busy schedule... We still doubt what to do here.

With kind regards,
Elien

#3 elien has been a member since 26/1/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.