Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Getting around Bali/ Car Rentals

Posted by TanyaAllen2017 on 18/5/2017 at 16:54

Hi, I've been planning a trip for my husband and myself for Bali. We are spending 2 weeks and would like to see several different areas. However, I am not sure what to plan because I'm not sure how we would be getting around. Can you rent a car with a U.S. driver's license or a scooter with a U.S. motorcycle license, we don't have one of those but my husband has had one before and he could get another if needed. We would like to start in Ubud go to Sideman to Amed and back to one of the southern beach areas. If we hire a driver do we need a driver from each location to get us to the next? Or does the driver stay in the town with us? Are drivers hard to come by? I appreciate any advice, Thank you.

#1 TanyaAllen2017 has been a member since 8/5/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/5/2017 at 17:11 admin

Hi Tanya,

You generally won't be asked for a license when renting a car or a bike, but if you're pulled over, police will expect you to have one. To ride or drive legally in Indonesia you require a license valid in your home country (cor a bike or car or both) and then an International Driving Permit on top of that. I'm not sure where you get those in the States, but in Australia you get them from the vehicle registration or insurance place (I can't remember which sorry).

You'll also need those if you want your travel insurance to cover you for driving or riding. More information on that here.

Hiring a vehicle with driver is quite common here, and drivers are everywhere, you can hire them piecemeal to take you from A to B then B to C or you can hire one to accompany you for the whole trip - is a personal preference really. If they travel with you, you're generally expected to cover the drivers accommodation (tho not necessarily at the same place as you) and meals are negotiable.

We've recommended Putu to a number of Travelfish readers, and have heard no complaints so far (we've known him and his family for years). His English is reasonable, he is licensed, has a good car with seat belts and so on. Price varies on where you are going and so on. He charges around 600,000 rupiah per day (I think, not sure on that) If you're interested, you can contact him via Facebook here.

Another option is to hire a car without a driver, cost varies depending on the vehicle of course, but you should be able to get something for around 300,000 per day. Motorbikes (step through scooters) start at around 60,000 to 70,000 per day, sometimes cheaper.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,821
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.