Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Suggestions for a 3-week Kalimantan trip

Posted by emeve on 20/5/2017 at 09:23

Hi, my bf and I are planning to visit Kalimantan for 3 weeks in Oct-Nov. The main reason to go there is to see some wildlife, local culture and enjoy some beautiful beaches. Because we've limited time and will be traveling from Europe we don't want to spend the majority of our time traveling from one location to the other, so ideally visit 3-4 locations. I've been doing research and can't decide if visiting Tanjung Puting National Park or Kutai National Park. Tanjung Puting seems much easier to get to (we can fly directly there from Jakarta) but according to some reviews it is too touristic, and we definitely want to avoid tourist traps. Kutai seems to be harder to reach, and since we've a limited time maybe this is not the smartest thing to do. For the beach time I was considering Derawan, how long would it take me to get there from Tanjung or Kutai? Are there flights from the nearby cities of these 2 parks that would take me close to the area where the boat to Derawan departs? Are there other beaches worth going? (we prefer to avoid the crowded beaches). Are there other activities worth doing and that we could easily pack into our itinerary? Thanks!

#1 emeve has been a member since 1/4/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by nicklamport on 30/5/2017 at 04:17

Hi. If you dont want to go to tourist traps then definitely dont go to Derawan. Its not nice at all. However if you head out to Pulau Maratua you will have a much more authentic experience (think no cars very relaxed and lots of white sand and palm trees with great reef..oh and turtles galore!!) plus better diving there and on nearby Kakaban (jellyfish lake also) and Sangalaki (manta rays). Last i went to Maratua there was only boat access however they were building an airport. Its a bit of a journey to get there but very worth it. You can fly to Berau and then get a taxi to Tanjung Batu, from there you negotiate at the wharf a speedboat to to go Maratua. You go past Derawan on the way to Maratua so you will see the difference. I wholly recommend Maratua Guesthouse to stay. Jun and his wife will make you very welcome. They are able to be booked via their website. I hope you get the opportunity to see this wonderful place!

#2 nicklamport has been a member since 22/10/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 7
 Send nicklamport a private message   Where has nicklamport been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by emeve on 17/6/2017 at 03:48

Hi nicklamport, I am happy to tell you that I will be staying at Maratua Guesthouse for one week. The airport will open in mid July so it will save me some of the hassle to get there.

#3 emeve has been a member since 1/4/2017. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.