Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Thailand & Bali general questions

Posted by tuanhuylink on 26/5/2017 at 03:59

Hi everyone

Im off to Thailand & Bali in about10 days. I have a few basic questions. I have read loads on the forum pages so forgive mr if I am overlapping something previously stated.. Here 'tis:

1. water - aquatabs, iodine or boil it? (I have heard about the huge land-fill issue caused by plastic bottles there)

2. rainjacket or umbrella or just get wet (oct & nov 09)

3. take or not take malaria tablets?

4. does Lomotil work well if I get a belly bug?

5. does Air Asia only allow 100mls fluid (I'm taking cabin bag only) or 100mls per container (eg: I need contact lens cleaner, soaker, bacterial handgel, waterbottle, citronella tea tree oil etc)

6. running shoes or sandals?

7. should I take mosquito repellant ot buyt it there it?

8. Travellex cash passport (eftpos or debit card). Is it any good (ie: is it readily accepted, is it safer than taking my own card, are they reliabel, do they charge too much)

9. passport holder - neck holder or waistband holder?

10. casual loose clothes or cargo-style pants made of heasvier material (but all those pockets mmm)

11. anything else I may have left out that you think I could use..

12. DFAT recommends not going to Bali - is it as dangerous and prone to (current) terrorist attacks as they say..?

thanks in advance

#1 tuanhuylink has been a member since 26/5/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 26/5/2017 at 06:02

Wow have you traveled before?

1. take a 1.5 litre bottle and refill it - not so sure in Bali but refil machines are everywhere in Thailand 1 baht a litre

3. only take if going into an area where there is a malaria risk

4. depends on what the problem is

6 depends on what you are going to do

7 buy it there IF you need it

12 ignore just follow normal precautions

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Posted by exacto on 26/5/2017 at 10:25

Wow have you traveled before?

@amnicoll: uncool. This is a travel forum for the exact purpose of asking questions.

@tuan

1. water - aquatabs, iodine or boil it? (I have heard about the huge land-fill issue caused by plastic bottles there)

take your favorite water bottle with you or buy one there and refill. many guesthouses also provide water in the lobby where you can refill.

2. rainjacket or umbrella or just get wet (oct & nov 09)

i take a disposable rain poncho with me, available at places like Walmart or your country's equivalent. small, cheap, and easy to use. even then, i rarely use it.

3. take or not take malaria tablets?

i never have in several decades of Asia travel. i still think using a good bug spray, covering up, and staying inside at dawn and dusk are the best defense. mossie coils help too.

4. does Lomotil work well if I get a belly bug?

Lomotil definitely stops me up. I only take it if I absolutely have to travel that day and can't be sure of toilet access. It is a good way to prevent symptoms for the short term, but if you can avoid taking it, I would.

5. does Air Asia only allow 100mls fluid (I'm taking cabin bag only) or 100mls per container (eg: I need contact lens cleaner, soaker, bacterial handgel, waterbottle, citronella tea tree oil etc)

6. running shoes or sandals?

If you have room in your pack and have ones you like, take both. Otherwise, take the running shoes and pick up a pair of sandals you like on the trip.

7. should I take mosquito repellant ot buyt it there it?

Either is fine, but I like to buy it there so the brand is designed for the place where I am using it.

8. Travellex cash passport (eftpos or debit card). Is it any good (ie: is it readily accepted, is it safer than taking my own card, are they reliabel, do they charge too much)

9. passport holder - neck holder or waistband holder?

10. casual loose clothes or cargo-style pants made of heasvier material (but all those pockets mmm)

11. anything else I may have left out that you think I could use..

12. DFAT recommends not going to Bali - is it as dangerous and prone to (current) terrorist attacks as they say..?

So are Paris and the UK, apparently. I would not hesitate to travel to Bali at the moment. Avoid crowds. Stay in control. Pay attention to your surroundings.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,808

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.