Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

International Driving Permit Indonesia

Posted by Ian15 on 9/7/2017 at 10:58

Hi, I'm going travelling in Indonesia (Bali and Lombok) in September and was wondering what the situation is regarding International Driving Permits. I have read contradicting advice on the validity of the IDP in Indonesia. Does anyone have any experience of this and know if it is valid in Indonesia. I don't want to waste my time and money getting one if it is not valid.
cheers Ian

#1 Ian15 has been a member since 11/9/2015. Posts: 10

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/7/2017 at 19:51 admin

Yes it is valid and recognised.

If the IDP is endorsed for driving then you can legally use it for driving a car. If you want to ride a scooter, then legally it needs to be endorsed for riding a scooter. If you're pulled up, they will check this!

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Gabe on 11/7/2017 at 08:14

Hi there Ian
As somtam says, IDP is what police and (occasionally) rental agencies will want to see. Most of the time they don't actually check that it is endorsed for motor bike riding (the standard rental bikes are about 125cc so they are motorbikes, though with 'step through' bodies). However it's also important to ensure that your travel insurance covers you riding a motorbike. Most need you to have a motorbike licence from your home country. Accidents are very common and sometimes severe, and uninsured people can have significant delays/expense in getting treated/expatriated.

#3 Gabe has been a member since 5/7/2017. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.