Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

No Indonesian Borneo coverage on Travelfish?

Posted by maristia on 30/7/2017 at 16:24

I've noticed that, while Malaysian Borneo is covered by Travelfish (both Sabah and Sarawak), that isn't the case with Kalimantan (the Indonesian part of the island).

I don't know if I'm not searching well the website for the relevant information, or if it's not even worth it to travel there, but I wasn't able to find anything here.

Any thoughts? Maybe someone at TF could tell me if there are plans to cover Kalimantan in a near future?

Thanks!

Martin

#1 maristia has been a member since 5/1/2016. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/7/2017 at 02:35 admin

Hi Martin,

No we don't cover any of Indonesian Borneo as this time and won't be getting there in the near future unfortunately.

Cheers

Stuart

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,901
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by maristia on 31/7/2017 at 05:57

Thank you for the reply, Stuart!
Yes, I thought that would be the case, was just making sure :)

Have you, your family, and/or anyone from the TF team ever been? What did you think about it?

Cheers!

Martin.

#3 maristia has been a member since 5/1/2016. Posts: 6

Posted by gecktrek on 31/7/2017 at 17:36

hey, i've travelled from kuching along the coastline via pontianak around to banjarmasin 15 years ago, so don't have any relevant information, but it was certainly an adventure... checkout wikitravel or wikivoyage for information.

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 141
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/7/2017 at 20:19 admin

Sam (Ms Travelfish ;-) has been to Camp Leakey and did the boat trip and that kind of thing (I'm rusty on the details, it was for a magazine assignment) a few years ago and she enjoyed it a lot, but we are yet to return.

That is the extent of our experience there!

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,901
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Bradley66 on 1/8/2017 at 16:18

I worked there exploration drilling , that was thirty years ago. Loved it , it is a place you can get lost in, lotsa jungle, lotsa animals, big river country. If I was to go back I would charter a boat for a month and go up river, any river. The floating houses are so cool, they build them on huge softwood trees all rafted up together , so beautifully clean and quiet on the rivers , macaws , deer, pythons, monkeys, fantastic! The only part I did not enjoy was flying so low across the jungle in those tiny STOL planes, if you ever go down there you will never get out. The most intense thunder and lightening storms I ever experienced were there in Kalimantan , and so regular and so close ,it is a very exciting place if you can get out into the jungle. My travel there was all part of my work so it was all organised and paid for by the company I worked for obviously , but I would suggest you try to go up river from Balikpapan or wherever you can fly into, just wing it .

#6 Bradley66 has been a member since 21/7/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by stoowie on 2/8/2017 at 13:58

Stuart:
After several weeks of surfing throughout your web site I just joined today!
I just love how organized and chock full of information it contains.
I travel to SE Asia every year for a month from the US
Keep up the good work.
Cheers!
Stewart B

#7 stoowie has been a member since 4/12/2016. Location: United States. Posts: 4
 Send stoowie a private message   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.