Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

4-5 days in Indonesia, where to go?

Posted by hamada on 16/8/2017 at 23:58

Hi,

I'm currently working and living in Singapore and I will be going on a business trip to Jakarta for a week and would like to extend my stay for another 4-5 days. I will be travelling with my wife and 2yrs daughter.

I'm looking for more than a lay on the beach holiday- we are doing this next week in Lang Tengah Malaysia- so any suggestions on where should we go or what to do a part from Jakarta?

My ultimate plan is to visit a different neighboring country for 4-5 days every month before I relocate to a different part of the world.

#1 hamada has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 17/8/2017 at 12:58

Hello hamada,
Salamat!
If you are looking for more than a lay-on-the-beach holiday (not that there is anything wrong with that), I recommend Yogyakarta on Java. We spent four wonderful days there a few years back. There are two excellent UNESCO World Heritage Sites a short distance from the city, and you'll find a good variety of food, shopping, and other attractions there too.
If you plan ahead, you should be able to book a cheap flight to Yogyakarta from Jakarta, but I think train is also an option.
Yogyakarta is where Indonesians go on holiday to explore their own history and culture. I think that makes it extra special. But because of that, I'd also want to be sure there isn't a local holiday during the time you wish to visit. Otherwise, I highly recommend the city. Definitely plan to buy batik fabrics and clothing when you are there for yourself and as gifts. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by savorygal on 20/8/2017 at 02:06

I agree with exacto & think Yogyakarta might tick all your boxes. Its a short flight from Jakarta and has a great cultural vibe.

The 2 UNESCO heritage sites, Prambanan & Borobodur can be done as a day trip.

There is a a great local travel company, ViaVia ( www.viaviajogja.com) that offers bike tours, cooking classes, city walks and tours further afield. They also have a great little shop selling fair trade crafts and there is a cafe as well.

Loads of charming small hotels & home stays.

Enjoy your trip wherever you decide to go

#3 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 173
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Posted by ilham451996 on 22/8/2017 at 04:41

I advise to visit Lombok .

2017-06-22-12-10-03.jpg

With divine beaches, the majestic Mt Rinjani and spectacular marine life to discover, the island of Lombok in West Nusa Tenggara has no shortage of attractions both in and out of the water.
Explore more phenomenal beaches down its south coast like the famous ‘Pink Beach’ in further south east, with pretty corals making the shore looked blushed.
Find the amazing Senaru Waterfalls and Benang Kelambu Waterfalls for a soothing sight. Join the locals of Sasak tribe and experience their daily life in the weaving village of Sade and Rambitan.
Offering spectacular reefs and ominous dive sites like Shark reef, white sandy beaches, tropical coral reefs, and warm inviting waters. All this awaits you on the Gili Trawangan and the Gili islands.

You can look for other trip package at www.butiktrip.com and www.triptrus.com
or you may contact us at +6221-727 92 903

#4 ilham451996 has been a member since 22/8/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by hamada on 22/8/2017 at 10:51

Thank you exacto, savorygal and ilham451996 for your suggestions! Yogyakarta definitely ticks all my boxes for this trip.

#5 hamada has been a member since 13/3/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 23/8/2017 at 15:26

We particularly enjoyed staying in the backpacker area "Gang 1 and Gang 2" along Jalan Sosrowijayan and Jalan Malioboro near the train station. (Jalan means "road".) This area reminded me of my early backpacking adventures in Asia in the early 1990's. Malioboro with its shopping and restaurants is an excellent mix of traditional and modern Indonesia. Have a wonderful trip. Regards.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.