Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Lake Maninjau Point Of Interest

Posted by davelliot on 2/10/2017 at 01:03

Have been informed that the Bayur area of Lake Maninjau , Sumatra is still quiet. Once Lake Maninjau was semi popular on the travellers circuit with a growing number of guesthouses and restaurants but after early 2000's with the new visa rules and terrorism fears it never really recovered. Is this your experience if you have been there recently? Here is picture of Rizal Beach Homestay ,which I understand has been more or less closed for years.1J2qyeB.jpg

#1 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by gecktrek on 2/10/2017 at 02:24

hey, i stayed at maninjau in nov 2016, and it was still beautiful but very quiet. i stayed closer to the town centre. i think the rizal has changed its name to the bayau beach inn...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 137
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by davelliot on 2/10/2017 at 23:45

I think Beach Inn was there for some years , in fact I stayed there once, its near Rizals but is not the same place. This picture shows the restaurant at Bayau Beach Inn , its not the Rizal restaurant area .[img]http://bayuabeach.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/0/6320531/6937366.jpg?171[/img]

#3 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by davelliot on 2/10/2017 at 23:49

This picture shows Anas Homestay above Lake Maninjau . Due to lack of visitors for some years it had to be opened up with advance notice , or you had to wait till someone came by. Don't know if it still operates.ZZDcoRA.jpg

#4 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by gecktrek on 3/10/2017 at 01:16

hey, i'm not sure if any of the aforementioned home stays are still operational as i stayed on the other side of the lake...

#5 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 137

Posted by davelliot on 3/10/2017 at 22:58

Right , but from I have heard and from doing some searches the situation seems to be that the old guesthouses at Bayur village are still there but some may have changed their names. Rizals is dormant , Beach Inn and another nearby are open and Lillis is still there and open but somebody said its more local tourists staying there and Lilli herself is no longer there. With Anas Homestay its probably still the same situation , but anyone can find out by asking around in Bukittingi or when doing the walk down from Lawang Top the person who collects the ticket money for doing the walk would be able to give info about whats happening with that place.
This picture shows the other side of the lake and the road that goes around the lake , although its a bit busier these daysvc6DPn8.jpg

#6 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by gecktrek on 4/10/2017 at 00:19

hey, from memory the road looks much the same as it was during my last visit. what year was that photo taken?

#7 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 137

Posted by davelliot on 4/10/2017 at 21:43

That photo was from about 1995 , taken about 8 kms from Maninjau town . At the time by about the 12 km mark the road got rough and was difficult to ride a bicycle further. This pic shows the road leading down to Bayur village after coming down from Anas Homestay or Lawang Top.ScNEWn8.jpg

#8 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.