Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Tenggara or Sulawesi & surrounds?

Posted by SocialTom on 17/11/2017 at 17:47

I'm doing a little bit of solo traveling next year and I'm hitting up Indonesia for about a month.
I'm familiar with Bali and surrounds so was wanting check out some new places.
After doing some preliminary research I've narrowed it down to a couple of options (I think)...
1) Hit up Tenggara....Flores, Komodo, Sumbawa etc. Or;
2) Check out some of the more remote islands in and around Sulawesi... Togian, Bunaken, Wakatobi and maybe nip out to Derwan (and any others worth a visit).
I understand the latter is far more logistically challenging.
I'm mid 30 and love hooking into local seafood. I also go for the occasional dive am known to murder a few cold beers. I don't like staying at any one location too long.
Anywho, I'm looking for the scoop from any savvy Indo travelers out there. Any tips on the above regions would be appreciated.
Cheers, Tom

#1 SocialTom has been a member since 17/11/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 18/11/2017 at 06:11

I did Flores starting in Maumere back to Bali and took 7 weeks over it and loved it - the cold beers in Sumbawa can be hard to find although from what I understand in the surf/dive areas this may not be a problem. The trip is easy to do under your own steam and assuming you are flying into/out of Bali I would suggest you work your way back to Bali

I have not done the other option (Sulawesi is great by the way) but check weather, and things like frequency of sailings but I am sure someone can help you

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 923
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gecktrek on 18/11/2017 at 19:57

hey, whilst i have been to both sulawesi and nusa tenggara, my last trip to sulawesi was over 20 years ago. both are worthwhile and doable in a month, although as you say logistically sulawesi is more challenging... i suggest working out a route in both and research places on that route you want to visit on sites such as travelfish, lp or wikitravel... travelfish has really good info on nusa tenggara.

#3 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 149
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by SocialTom on 20/11/2017 at 00:19

Legends, thanks for the info.
What's the Tenngara 'must sees'?
I haven't completely ruled out Sulawesi, I just figured a month would make it too tight. I considered hitting up the north only and nipping down to Toligans.
At the risk of asking a too broader question, what's the scoop on Sulawesi?

#4 SocialTom has been a member since 17/11/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 20/11/2017 at 04:33

I spent my time up in Toraja country and I found the interior to be stunningly beautiful with lots of good walking, great food, lovely people and above all the toraja culture.

Did not do the coast/island bit myself

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 923
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/11/2017 at 19:29 admin

Hi Tom,

What time of year are you planning this? That would be my first question.

That aside, with a month I'd be leaning towards Flores or Sumbawa rather than Sulawesi primarily because they lend themselves to a shorter trip. I've only been to Sulawesi once (just to Bira, Makassar, Tana Toraja and the Togeans, which took me 6 weeks, though 3 of those were in the Togeans ha ha) and getting around is time consuming (though improving).

I've travelled pretty extensively in Flores and Sumbawa, so going off what you say about yourself:

Diving: Easier to arrange in Flores than Sumbawa
Beer: Easy in Flores, Mixed in Sumbawa - for eg in Bima and Sumbawa Besar you need to go to a Chinese restaurant generally to get a beer but in the surfing centres, no problemo

I'll point you to a couple of itinerary pieces that will give you a rough idea of highlights in each:

16 days in Flores-note this is an old story, but the basics are fine.
https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/18-days-flores

Two weeks in Sumbawwa
Four weeks in the same

The main thing with Sumbawa is it is primarily popular with surfers, so outside of those areas, you will see few if any foreigners. In 3 weeks there I saw 6 in total (not counting the surf areas).

By comparison, Flores is far more popular with tourists, but predominantly only in the west (at Labuan Bajo for Komodo etc)

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,946
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SocialTom on 22/11/2017 at 17:41

Awesome, thanks for that.... Yep, I've had a bit of a gander at the itineraries and done a bit of research on the locations. It looks pretty cool. My Indo leg starts on 20 May and I intend to stay a month. That said, I work remotely so there's every chance of extending. Given the above tips I think I'll save Sulawesi and surrounds for 2019 so I can give it more time. Love this site by the way!

#7 SocialTom has been a member since 17/11/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.