Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Secret Gilis

Posted by u2tool on 8/12/2017 at 19:54

Stuart's got me intrigued by Gili Layar and the surrounding Gilis. Looking to snorkel, explore, beach. Two adults and 9-year old, A couple of questions about that.

I was thinking of basing myself in Sekotong while on mainland, Krishna looks like a good spot. Any other ideas that might be better?

I'd like to hit Asahan, Layar, Ringit, maybe Gede. Good to do out of Sekotong, or some place closer? I'd also like to stay on one - Asahan or Layar. Layar has one bungalow set up I think, and Asahan has several, Pearl Beach looking good. Thoughts on which might be better? Can you rent a kayak to go to near islands, or is that too far?

Also looking at the islands north of those - particularly interested in staying on Nanggu but I can't find an email that works for those bungalows. These seem like I could do easily out of Sekotong.

Last if I do these islands, and skip the main Gilis - would I be missing anything important?

Quite a few questions, any answers appreciated.

#1 u2tool has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/12/2017 at 09:07 admin

Sorry am very late to this, am in Kl doing a major update and could really do with some secret Gilis just now!

My thoughts:

I've stayed with the family on Gede and Layar and I much preferred Layar. The place is simple, but the house reef is solid with a convenient current (essentially walk up to the top of the beach, and float down). Gede’s reefs have largely been trashed and I’ve heard similar for Asahan, though I've not tried the island myself—last time I tried to go there, they said no because didn’t allow kids, so check that with them (given the ages of your kids) before you consider there.

Ringgit (to my knowledge) has no permanent accommodation on it, so you can visit it from Gede/Asahan/Layar on a boat trip. there is also an atoll beyond it which is quite nice.

I wouldn't stay on the mainland—mainly because it just adds another boat trip into everything.

Kayaking between the islands would involve a lot of, well, kayaking! Personally I wouldn’t do it, but if you wanted to ask the locals re currents and so on.

I've not been to Nanngu sorry, it is easily visited on a day trip apparently, but no first hand advice sorry.

Regarding comparing to the popular gilis, the southern ones are less adulterated. If you want bars and a wide variety of food & drinks, then the northern gilis a better option, as these gilis have none of that!

Cheers & apols again for late reply.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,943
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by u2tool on 19/12/2017 at 02:02

No worries mate, appreciate all the perspective. Still a lot of things me before departure. I was coming to the conclusion that Layar with boat trip to see the other islands was my route. Wanted to visit Nunggu and it’s attendant islands, wasn’t sure if that was best from Layar or day trip from Sekotong. And m still curious about Kondo. Don’t let the KL update break you. Escape to a gili of your dreams!

#3 u2tool has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by u2tool on 19/12/2017 at 02:02

No worries mate, appreciate all the perspective. Still a lot of things me before departure. I was coming to the conclusion that Layar with boat trip to see the other islands was my route. Wanted to visit Nunggu and it’s attendant islands, wasn’t sure if that was best from Layar or day trip from Sekotong. And m still curious about Kondo. Don’t let the KL update break you. Escape to a gili of your dreams!

#4 u2tool has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.