Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

alternative to fast boats in Indonesia

Posted by ambersaffron on 29/12/2017 at 19:34

I've been reading about the safety issues with fast boats in Indonesia, specifically from Bali to the Gilis. I'm a nervous boat traveller. Is there an alternative to the fast boats?

#1 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 19
 Send ambersaffron a private message 

Posted by savorygal on 30/12/2017 at 13:20

You can fly from Bali to Lombok quite easily & inexpensively. I would recommend Garuda as they are more likely to be on time. There are several flights per day & the flight is about 30 minutes.

Once in Lombok you can get the shuttle to Sengiggi beach or negotiate with a tout ( metered taxis are not allowed to pick up passengers) to take you to Bangsal or Teluk Nara harbors. Expect to pay around 250,000 - 300,000 IDR for the trip.

Bangsal is the local harbor & boats leave every 30 minutes or so. Tickets are 15,000 IDR per person. Please note Bangsal is not for the faint of heart: The touts are aggressive, the harbor is dirty and you will need to be completely independent in regards to carrying your bags or plan to pay a porter. The boats are local transport, not designed for tourists, and you will likely share your space with cases of beer or a few chickens.
The last boat leaves around 5 pm.

If you want a bit more comfortable ride you can hire a private boat from Teluk Nara which will cost around 450,000 IDR for the short 15 minute ride to any of the Gili's. Your driver should be able to help you hire a private boat.

Alternatively, Gili Getaway is a reputable fast boat company and has a good reputation for safety.

Enjoy your holiday in Indonesia!

#2 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 174
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.