Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Gunung Bromo, Indonesia

Posted by anno35 on 26/3/2018 at 17:46

Hi Stuart: Thanks for your reply to my query about car hire. BYW World Nomads doesn't do insurance for travelers over 70.

I have been reading your terrific article on Gunung Bromo . My sister (78) and I (82) are interested in "You don't need to do a tour". The tours sound to be very crowded and we'd much rather be doing it on our own. We have limited physical ability, however, and don't usually do much elevation over 500 m? Will Gunung Bromo be too strenuous for us? We have time to be able to do it leisurely, if that's possible. Many thanks.

#1 anno35 has been a member since 17/2/2018. Posts: 3

Posted by flijten on 26/3/2018 at 23:44

Well, you don't need a tour :)

I skipped the tours somewhere last summer, I'll write up my experience. From probolingo we went up with one of the mini vans described on this site. After getting 12 people we paid for the 15 split twelve ways, it had been a few hours of waiting by then. We left probolingo (at least our guesthouse) early in the morning and combined with waiting and the trip up found ourselves at cemoro lawang at about 1. So we found a guesthouse and had a quick lunch in one of the simple warungs.

Here's the first good thing about going independent: when you head into the caldera after lunch you'll be met by boatloads of people.... returning. We walked through the caldera (about 1 hour, very easy going) to Bromo and found it literally deserted as everyone, but our little group, had left. We had the whole volcano to ourselves until sundown. The walk up to Bromo is steep (stairs) but short, so if you take your time you'll be fine. We walked back after dark which you may reconsider so you'll find your way back home a bit easier.

The sunrise viewpoints will have you find yourselves surrounded by people whatever approach you take. The good bit is that the view is so magnificient that the crowds are irrelevant. We did the hike up from the village in the direction of king kong viewpoint. We called it quits at the location were the paved road ends. I think it was about a 90 minute walk up. This was quite steep so, if you're unsure about your physical abilities, you may consider getting transport for this bit (just not a full tour, you saw bromo the day before in solitude after all). The viewpoint has a handful of people selling coffee and tea but you're here for the view and that's amazing. Bring warm clothes, you'll be here for a while. I think there were about 60 odd people around us but I couldn't care less. 30 minutes to an hour after sunrise people will start to leave in droves and it'll get quieter. Walk down (or have your driver wait, but it really is only downhill from here) and enjoy the scenery. Have breakfast while the others are walking over heads to catch a view of the crater and decide what to do with the rest of your day :)

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 69

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/4/2018 at 19:53 admin

Great answer there by flijten—thanks!

I did something similar, but in the opposite order—I did the trek at King Kong in the afternoon and spent the next morning in the caldera. Unfortunately I was very unlucky with the weather, but even totally misted in the caldera is very amazing! On the trek I pushed on from the end of the road all the way to the King Kong viewpoint and some of that was a bit hard (and the track often not very clear) so stopping at the end of the road is a good compromise.

As far as getting there from Probolinggo , we go a car via the Go-Jek app and it cost 150,000 for the car (one way), from Probolinggo to the crater rim—this struck us as very good value. Some more details on the various options are here.

More questions, ask away!

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,946
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.