Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Last minute flights.

Posted by aroomwithaview on 11/4/2018 at 07:27

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a trip for August.

I'm planning on flying from Kupang, across to Maumere , Maumere to Bima , Bima to Bali.

The question is; is it possible to purchase flights either from a travel agent or from the airport a day or two before flying?

#1 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/4/2018 at 17:42 admin

Hi,

Yes you can from an agent, though generally not at the airport—assuming there is availability of course, can but either via a travel agent or one of the local online agents like Tiket or Traveloka (who will often, though not always, have prices cheaper than the agents).

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,946
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by aroomwithaview on 11/4/2018 at 17:53

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up.

From your experience, how is demand for those routes mentioned in August?

Cheers.

#3 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/4/2018 at 20:14 admin

August will be busy as is tail season of EU summer, I'd not be leaving it till the flight day—at the latest a few days before... But you can also check the airline websites say a week out and see if the flights are filling up.

If you are planning on overlanding on these islands you may want to consider changing plans slightly, so for example:

Fly Kupang to Maumere

Ferry from Labuan Bajo to Bima (bus from Sape to Bima)
Fly Sumbawa Besar to Bali (via Lombok)

Something like the above will save you a lot of backtracking if you are planning on travelling around a lot.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,946
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by aroomwithaview on 11/4/2018 at 21:56

I have 16 days in total.

Basically, I want to see the Kelimutu lakes and climb Tambora . I've been to the western part of Flores before (LB, snorkeling, Wae Rebo). I'll be starting in Dili and have to spend a day getting to Kupang. First flight out of there to Maumere, check out the lakes and whatever else is in the area, flight to Bima, climb Tambora and then fly to Bali for some R&R and flight back to Dili. I've climbed Rinjani, and, to be honest, I didn't like the Lombok vibe so I've no reason to return.

I think this is fairly feasible in the amount of time I've got. Not sure if to take the fairly expensive package deal or DIY for Tambora.

#5 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by amnicoll on 12/4/2018 at 02:08

Are there flights from Maumere or indeed Ende to Bima?

Know what you mean about Lombok

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 923
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by aroomwithaview on 12/4/2018 at 02:28

I wrongly assumed there was, but it appears there are not any. I will have to reassess my plans.

I didn't like Lombok. That's just my opinion. Rinjani was a great hike, if a rubbish-strewn one, but I have no intention of going back to Lombok; it's a million miles from Bali in terms of friendliness. Again, just my take; others will disagree.

#7 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by amnicoll on 12/4/2018 at 02:50

I agree with you about Lombok but I did like Sumbawa and loved Flores

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 923
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/4/2018 at 03:57 admin

Hmm yeah a bit tricky. To get to Bima I think most flights go via Denpasar.

From Kupang you could also fly to Ende (which is about equidistant to Kelimutu) and bounce back to Kupang, but then you’d still need to fly to Bima via Denpasar.

You could also fly from Ende to Labuan Bajo (and then get the boat to Sape and Bima), but that would eat up a bit of time and you'll still need to get from Bima to Dompu and then to basecamp, which may require an overnight stay in Dompu as I don't think there is an afternoon bus from Dompu to Pancasila (for basecamp).

Headache.

As far as the climb goes, I just showed up and was going to hire a guide and a tent etc, but ended up joining with a few Indonesians who showed up. The organised trips, as you say, are not cheap, but from Pancasila at least, sorting out a guide was not difficult.

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,946

Posted by aroomwithaview on 12/4/2018 at 06:33

I'll either have to cut out the Sumbawa leg and keep it up my sleeve for another time; checking out eastern Flores , or, fly straight to Bali and onto to Bima and back to Bali; missing Flores instead. Not the worst issue in the world I guess. One needs more time!

#10 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.