Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Flores itinerary check

Posted by woylie on 24/4/2018 at 01:08

Hi and thanks for all the useful information.
Flying Denpasar to Maumere.
booked for 3 nights near Maumere.
Thinking to hire a driver for travel to Moni with side visit to Sikka. Need to book 2 nights at Moni.
Early start next day for dawn climb up Kelimutu.
Then Ende 1 day
Is it sensible to then go to Riung for 2 days and return to Bajawa for 3 days? Or Bajawa and then Riung?Looking at the roads, it seems inevitable to backtrack?
Last stretch would be on the way to Labuan Bajo for 2 days. Is this too far to go in one day?
I am trying to take on board everyone's suggestions about slowing down, but the distances seem so tiny it is hard to work out timings.
Appreciate any suggestions

#1 woylie has been a member since 10/8/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 25/4/2018 at 01:29

There is transport from Bajawa to LB although you may need a change in Ruteng. About 8 -10 hours travel time +waiting. As long as you use a share taxi or one of the coaster companies like Guning Mas fine but not on a local bus. The question about transport from Riung I do not know so if in doubt go there first.

Distance may be short but the roads are narrow and wind up and down the hills beautiful scenery but slow and roadworks not unknown.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 903
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by flijten on 25/4/2018 at 01:34

Hi! I spent the better parts of three weeks in Flores last summer, here are some thoughts:

Travel on Flores isn't exactly quick. From ende to Riung might just take you a full day, especially when counting on public transport. It might be worth to do it in one stretch, just to get it out of the way. You may not have to backtrack to Bajawa , there is a road along the northern coast. Didn't take it though, so no clue as to what conditions are.

Are you going to climb Inerie? Otherwise 3 nights in Bajawa feels excessive :)

From Bajawa to Labuan Bajo will be more or less a full day travel as well. It might make sense to break up the journey by overnighting in Ruteng. There is some stuff to see and you won't be stuck in a van all day.

Distances are tiny, but travel is slow. I once spent 4 hours to cover 50ish kilometers in public transport in Indonesia. Transport times improve significantly when taking a driver over bemo's but you still won't be flying around the island :)

#3 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 68

Posted by amnicoll on 25/4/2018 at 01:56

I really liked Bajawa and there is plenty to see and do around the city

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 903
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by flijten on 25/4/2018 at 04:50

:)

#5 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 68

Posted by gecktrek on 25/4/2018 at 06:40

hey, plenty to see in and around both ende and ruteng as well...

#6 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 147
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by flijten on 25/4/2018 at 08:40

I was basing myself on the total amount of days that is apparently available to Woylie (based on simply adding all days between Maumere and Labuan Bajo) mainly. I didn't spend 3 weeks in Flores for nothing :D

#7 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 68

Posted by woylie on 25/4/2018 at 21:16

Thanks everyone.
I did plan a stop at Ruteng to break the trip to LB, so your advice is useful.
We are intending/hoping to find a driver for much of this, even though this seems incredibly luxurious!

I really like the sound of Riung and the look of the trip across the island. Will still try to factor this in.

Amazing watching the accommodation for July, August vanish while I browse.

#8 woylie has been a member since 10/8/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/4/2018 at 02:26 admin

Regarding accommodation, please bear in mind many of the places in Flores cannot be booked online, rather you just show up and find a room, so, unless you are set on specific properties I wouldn’t be too concerned about a few of the places on the online agents filling up.

Cheers

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,939
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.