Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Suggested islands/destinations during Ramadan / Idul Fitri

Posted by maristia on 8/6/2018 at 09:29

Hey guys!

We're in Bali at the moment, in beautiful Munduk. We've been touring Bali for a little over 3 weeks already. We're planning our next move (read: to which island we'll be going next). Time's not really an issue since we have 2 months visas issued before coming to Indonesia, which is extendable 4 times for 1 month each.

Anyway, so far Ramadan hasn't been an issue in Bali, as I've already read before coming. But since the end of it is approaching, we know that things become busy during Idul Fitri.

My questions is where should be move next, considering this time for Muslims. Any reccomendations where things won't be as crazy? I've read Java is a no-go. We were thinking Sumba, Sumbawa, Flores, Lombok, etc.

Hope someone can help!

Thank you in advance,

Martin.

#1 maristia has been a member since 5/1/2016. Location: Argentina. Posts: 8
 Send maristia a private message   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 9/6/2018 at 05:15

Without a doubt Flores if your consideration is Ramadan

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 917
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by flijten on 10/6/2018 at 11:54

Java certainly is not a no-go. It requires some adaptation, sure, but you could go easily. I was on Java during Ramadan last year and we got around pretty well. We took care not eating loads and drinking continuously in public, but no one will hold a sip of water against you. Finding open restaurants is a bit of a hassle, but some are open, mostly with a closed door, but serving food. In smaller communities people asked us to eat inside once or twice but they could provide food.

Do avoid travel around the final days though, all of Indonesia will be on the move :)

If you really want to avoid ramadan I'd say Sumbawa and Lombok are not an option since they're predominantly muslim Islands as well. Flores is the best choice in that case. Just keep in mind that it is not a necessity to avoid Ramadan.

#3 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 69

Posted by maristia on 10/6/2018 at 14:56

Thank you both.
We're going to Flores. It's not Ramadan we're most worried about. We've been in Muslim countries before during it and it was fine, even interesting I'd say!
WereW more worried about the holidays at the end of it, which seems half know of the country is going to move!
Thanks again

#4 maristia has been a member since 5/1/2016. Location: Argentina. Posts: 8
 Send maristia a private message   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 11/6/2018 at 04:51

You will enjoy Flores it is a fabulous island with plenty to see and do

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 917
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.