Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Nusa Penida

Posted by rossndeb95 on 8/1/2019 at 08:21

We are planning on travelling to Nusa Penida this year and want to know when is the best time
to go. We plan on doing a lot of snorkeling so want to go when the weathers best for this. We would also like to know the best areas to stay for snorkeling.

#1 rossndeb95 has been a member since 31/8/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 11/1/2019 at 11:53

You'll definitely want to be there in dry season (Apr-May to Sep-Oct).

I went to Nusa Penida last June, and snorkeled at Crystal Bay. It was decent snorkeling off the beach (clear water; you have to swim out to 8-10 feet deep to find living coral), but very crowded with day-trippers - from mid-morning to late afternoon, expect to share the bay with at least a dozen boats worth of people. There's a stall renting snorkeling equipment from the beach, if you don't have your own - the nice guy who runs it warned me not to swim out farther than where the boats were moored, for safety (the currents are quite strong - there were times when I was swimming as hard as I was able just to stay in the same spot, and not be pulled by the current).

There are a couple of other sites, but I don't have any personal knowledge of them. Travelfish has a page with information: https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/indonesia/bali/bali/nusa_penida/1147 (if the link doesn't work, use the site's search function, or navigate to Nusa Penida and look under See/Sights & Activities for the article).

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 546
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by antoniamitchell on 11/1/2019 at 12:06

Forgot to answer your question on places to stay. It rather depends on your transport situation.

If you want to visit a lot of different snorkeling sites, and plan on taking boat trips to do that, you might want to stay in the main town (Toya Pakeh), so you can easily access the boats.

If you are happy to take taxis around a lot, or hire a car and driver, you have a lot more flexibility. There are a handful of places to stay on the main road between Crystal Bay and Toya Pakeh, for example, which are within easy reach of both Crystal Bay and Gamat Bay (the two most popular snorkeling spots), however you'll need transport to get around.

If you prefer to be within walking distance of your snorkeling, your options are a bit more limited. There are a handful of guesthouses in the village adjacent to Crystal Bay - they tend to be a bit expensive (for Bali), but demand has expanded rapidly over the past couple of years, so they can charge more. Expect about a 10 minute walk to the beach itself.

Hope that's helpful.

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 546
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.