Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Togean Island Questions

Posted by dewilondo on 18/7/2019 at 16:46

In October, 2019 I will be traveling to the Togeans to see an Indonesian friend who lives on one of the islands. He says,"Jangan kuatir!" (don't worry) but I'm interested in other travelers experiences with the topics listed below. Also wondering if anyone else on this forum is going in October. The good folks at Travelfish have helped me figure out my inter-island air and boat transport – thank you, Stuart!

1) Safety and reliability of "speedboats" from Amapana to Wakai and "motor canoes" from Wakai to smaller islands. I'm aware of "jam karet" (rubber time) and the likelihood of long waits and disrupted boat schedules - that doesn't bother me.I just want to be and feel safe.

2) Women traveling alone in the Togeans

3) I've had dengue in the past - don't want it again. Just use tons of repellant and sleep under a mosquito net every night?

4) How much cash to bring for a 5-day stay? I will not be scuba diving or doing any major commercial adventures.

5) Any anti-Western vibe to be concerned about?

6) Pickpocket/theft issues on boats with people handling my luggage?

7) Water: Do they sell bottled water on the speed boats or the “motor canoes”? How much to bring in my own camel-back or 1-litre bottles? Is there a bathroom on the speed boats- I doubt it but just wanted to ask.

Thanks!

#1 dewilondo has been a member since 9/1/2019. Posts: 3
 Send dewilondo a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/7/2019 at 06:05 admin

Hiya,

In answer to your questions:
1) The boats are generally small outriggers. They can flip, tho I’ve never seen that happen. I wouldn’t get on one in very rough seas, but otherwise, unless you are going out to say Una Una you’re never too far from an island...

2) No issues that I’m aware of/heard of.

3) Yes, it is a dengue area, so use repellant and a net. Just about all accommodation supplies nets.

4) Really depends on the place you are staying. Some are half or full board, so hard to say. Snacks and drinks are more expensive than the mainland, but not extortionately so,

5) None that I have encountered.

6) Never experienced this kind of problem, tho, as always, makes sense to not be flashy, keep cash on you etc.

7) No, bring your own water (a litre or so). No toilets on the speedboats I have used.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by dewilondo on 29/7/2019 at 18:33

Thanks very much for your reply somtam2000! Am thinking about spraying my clothes with permetherin when in Togeans. Any thoughts on that? Seems effective but toxic.

#3 dewilondo has been a member since 9/1/2019. Posts: 3
 Send dewilondo a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/8/2019 at 00:53 admin

Personally I wouldn’t bother—I didn’t find the mozzies to be all that bad there in the scheme of things.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.