Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Sumatra-Java or Sumbawa-Flores? What to choose?

Posted by andreynel on 7/12/2019 at 00:19

Hi!

Now I'm thinking of visiting Indonesia and I have some options:

1. Time of visit: end of December-January or end of January-February. The total of time I'm gonna spend in Indonesia is 1-1,5 months (maybe 2 months).

2. Where to go: I'm thinking of two options: western part (Sumatra and Java) or eastern ( Sumba wa, Flores, Sumba maybe).

What are your suggestions? What time and what itinerary to choose? One of my concerns is the weather. I know it's a rainy season, but probably it's different in different parts and months.

So, please, any ideas?

Btw, it's gonna be my second time in Indonesia, the first one was just one week on Lake Toba in February, and it was awesome.

#1 andreynel has been a member since 25/11/2018. Posts: 3

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 8/12/2019 at 14:16

Well, I think the answer is "it depends: what sort of trip do you enjoy?"

Indonesia is so massive and varied, it's more like a bunch of different countries than one cohesive whole. Never been to Sumatra nor Sumba, but Flores and Java are very different places.

Java is densely populated, and has big cities, good transport infrastructure, a huge variety of restaurants and food in most places, a wide range of quality accommodation across all price ranges, bustling shopping districts, popular ancient temples and museums, etc. Flores... does not have those things.

Personally, I like museums and variety in restaurants and big temples, and I hate roughing it in substandard accommodation. I hate having to hire a car and driver to go somewhere because there is no easily accessible public transport. In other words, I was much happier in Java than I was in Flores. But you may be the opposite of me.

There are a number of suggestions for itineraries on this site, so I'd read through, and have a think about what activities and styles of travel you enjoy the most, and that should hopefully help you decide.

Enjoy your trip

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by andreynel on 9/12/2019 at 07:00

Yeah, thank you!
I've read a lot, and both options, thought different, seem exciting ))
Don't know what to choose weatherwise ))

#3 andreynel has been a member since 25/11/2018. Posts: 3

Posted by wanderer143 on 24/2/2020 at 07:23

Both are nice but I'd choose Flores in a heartbeat if I needed to choose between the two. :)

#4 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 125

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.