Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

'Other' things to do whilst in Bali ?

Posted by sandyfreckle on 6/7/2022 at 01:28

Hi all..., like many others I've been to Bali a few times over the years and intend returning again soon. I'd like to take a pause after returning from a trip to Sumba, to stay in Bali..., probably around Sanur initially. 

Simply put, I'm seeking recommendations of special places to eat.., places to visit.., interesting things to do that are not to mainstream - from all over the island. I have a couple of interests already pencilled in; visit Munduk for a day or 2 - take in surrounding towns, trails, waterfalls and old Bhodi tree. Make an overnighter at Sideman in order to do a bit of white water rafting. I've never really checked out the top N/E corner so maybe some things of interest up in that general area ?

So, can anyone recommend special dining experiences(even cafe's).., something that's 'alternative' or a bit different to the mainstream.., to take in whilst I'm there ?  I quite enjoy moderate to easy water activities, walks and bicycle rides, food places etc etc.

Apologies in advance if this is a bit long winded.

#1 sandyfreckle has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 23

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/7/2022 at 01:08 admin

A few thoughts:

If you’re kicking around up Sidemen way, Bali Asli is worth a look. It isn’t inexpensive, but the food is excellent and they also offer cooking classes. In Amlapura itself, the palace is worth a look if you’re after a bit of town-wandering—it sees very few foreign visitors. When we were last in Sidemen (at the start of the year) we ended up eating quite a bit at a fancypants hotel there, the Wape di Ume, the food was extremely good and not outrageously expensive. It has a fab pool too (which you can use if you’re stuffing face there). 

In the Northeast, if you mean out Amed way, there are a whole series of relaxed beaches and bays out there, and the area certainly is waking up again. East Bali Bike Tours used to run good cycling trips in that area, though I’m not sure if they are still operating, so you may want to drop them a line. 

Over in Munduk, the main thing is the waterfalls, which are pretty well-covered on Travelfish here, there is no need for a guide, and there are quite a few other walks you can do from Munduk.

Lastly, if you’re for something more community-minded, sustainable/community-based tourism outfit JED get good reports. I’ve not used them personally, but have heard good things. You can find out more at their website here.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by sandyfreckle on 28/7/2022 at 22:58

Thank you for your suggestions....., I think mostly I just feel to sit and reflect. Not so interested in moving around ticking off items. 

Now that FMD has kicked in, I'm expecting travel to Bali could be stopped. I wouldn't be overly miffed if my intended Sept trip is rubbed out. However if indeed I do get to go, I'll certainly be modifying my behaviour to suit etc etc.

#3 sandyfreckle has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 23

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.