Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD)

Posted by gecktrek on 25/7/2022 at 07:00

hey, i'm planning on traveling to flores, indfonesia for a month, and have been reading about foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), does anyone from indonesia have any updates as to how serious this disease is in indonesia?  a tad concerned that flights from australia might be cancelled!

#1 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 178

Posted by davelliot on 25/7/2022 at 11:27

Started in Java and Aceh and has spread to 21 provinces and authorities there are struggling.So seems pretty serious. 

#2 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 55

Posted by gecktrek on 26/7/2022 at 01:36

many thanks dave...

#3 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 178

Posted by davelliot on 26/7/2022 at 05:44

Australia should close its border to Indonesia until the country's foot and mouth disease crisis is resolved, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton says.The federal government continues to resist a closure, a position backed by the National Farmers Federation.Trade concerns and strict biosecurity measures have been cited as reasons to not block Australia-Indonesia exchanges.   - 

9News

#4 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 55

Posted by davelliot on 26/7/2022 at 07:32

An Australian veterinarian officer says it could take a year for Indonesia to get over the outbreak.

#5 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 55

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/7/2022 at 23:02 admin

Yeah have been following this. It is definitely in Bali and there’s been a bit of coverage around how cattle and tourists are often intermingled—for eg they graze within metres of some Seminyak beach bars—but seems the Oz govt is pretty leery of cancelling flights etc. It does seem to me (non-cow-expert that I am) a bit of a risk for the disease to transit down to Oz, but who knows. There are at least a dozen within fifty metres of where I am typing this reply!

Gecktrek, if you fancy a coffee while in Bali, let me know!

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by gecktrek on 26/7/2022 at 23:29

many thanks for those observations mr stuart, just when we thought we saw co-vid off, fmd puts its hoof in the door... and thanks for your kind offer, will be spending a day or 2 either side of my travels, staying up your way, will email when i have confirmed dates...

#7 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 178

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.