Text page


Indonesia forum

Indonesian Digital Nomad and Retirement Visas

Posted by davelliot on 19/9/2022 at 06:17

Today heard a radio segment on what they said were 2 new types of visas. First a 6 month digital nomad visa. Followed this up finding this summary from a website

..The decision to offer a digital nomad visa is one that has been discussed by the Indonesian government in great depth. Yesterday, after more than a year of prolonged discussions, the country’s Minister of Tourism and Creative Economy, Sandiaga Uno, revealed that travelers wanting to enter Indonesia for a “workcation” could do so under the B211a visa, which is also referred to as the “Socio-Cultural” visa, bringing good news to travelers and ending months of speculation. The B211a visa has an original validity of 60 or 180 days. However, those who choose to enter with the 60-day option can extend it twice more, each time for a further 60 days, effectively giving travelers six months to enjoy working remotely from Bali. The Indonesian government is still working on plans to offer travelers a digital nomad visa with a longer duration, but the B211a visa is the perfect solution for those looking for a short to medium time working remotely from paradise. There are also plans to make it easier for tourists to obtain KITAS, which are permits for staying longer term.

 The radio segment also mentioned a retirement visa but not sure how new this is. Found this online -LINK

This type of visa has a lot of benefits, which other residential visas do not allow, such as:You canopen an Indonesian bank accountYou can get a local driver’s licenceYou can receive a Multiple Exit Re-Permit (MERP), which allows you to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you needYou can buy and register a car on your nameYou will be privy to local prices and discountsWhen you apply for an Indonesian Retirement Visa, you must submit several documents which will support your application. These include:

Copies of all the pages of your passport. The passport has to be valid for at least another 18 months, and have at least six empty visa pages left.Sponsorship Letter from the retirement agency handling your visa applicationA letter from you, stating that you do not have any intention of working in Indonesia, you will hire a domestic worker/maid, and that you have found a place to live in Indonesia.A copy of your health and life insurance policy. Here’s how you can obtain international health insurance for expats.If you are renting your accommodation: The rental agreement, with the landowner/landlord’s name, house/apartment address, the rent amount, as well as a copy of the landowner/landlord’s identity card (KTP)Proof of sufficient funds to sustain yourself, such as your bank account statements or proof of pension. You must have at least US$ 1,500 per month (a total of US$ 18,000 per year)Your Curriculum Vitae (CV)Passport-size pictures

#1 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 61

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/10/2022 at 06:38 admin

Sorry, very late to this. A few thoughts:

1) Indonesia does not currently have a “digital nomad visa.”

2) Sandiaga Uno is the tourism minister, and has no control over immigration policies, though obviously he has more input into them than you or me! Until the immigration department make an announcement (and I am not holding my breath on this as a real DN visa would be quite complicated because of taxation issues, among others), this all remains speculative.

3) The B211A has been around forever and it is what many already use for these kinda purposes, even if this are not the intention behind offering the visa (it was designed to facilitate people coming in for business meetings/business development etc). A case of embracing the status quo perhaps, but it remains the case you are not legally allowed to work in Indonesia on a B211A. People are deported for doing so.

4) What has been reported (and picked up by that travel blog mentioned above and a bazillion news sites) is really just a nod towards rebranding a B211A. The D212 (a multiple-entry business visa, similar to the B211A) has apparently just been re-opened, though I have no idea what that is going to cost. However it is illegal to work in Indonesia on either visa.

5) If you want to work legally in Indonesia, you need a work permit (a part of which is the KITAS). Getting this can be quite costly and time consuming, and it is not a process that lends itself to short “coupla-month” stays.

6) The real issue is “what is work” and immigration departments across the region are still playing catch up in this regard.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,099

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.