Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Weather

Posted by chrispyrolls on 15/4/2009 at 18:18

As us Brits are midly obsessed with weather, and as I don't really know that much about Indonesia, any advice on best time of year to visit?

A quick google tells me it depends on where you go - so i guess the question is what time of year for which part?

Thanks
Chris

#1 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SBE on 15/4/2009 at 18:51

The rainy season is worst in December in January in most places I think. Late March to late October is probably the best time to go, though November can be OK too.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2009 at 13:45 admin

I can tell you today in Bali it is freakin hot -- F R E A K I N HOT!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by beauone11 on 2/10/2011 at 03:34

on the note of weather, I am currently picking up gear for my sea trip and will be in bali from mid oct-mid december then off to explore all of sea. Do I need a high quality rain jacket/shell?

#4 beauone11 has been a member since 2/10/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by SBE on 2/10/2011 at 13:37

Mid December is about the worst time you could possibly chose to start "exploring the sea" in Indonesia. The problem isn't so much getting wet (because it's not cold rain) but the waves.

There will be storms and rough seas. Indonesian boats are badly maintained and usually very overloaded so they frequently sink. You'd be better off exploring the sea in October and November, when the seas are usually calm. Depends whereabouts you are planning to go though. West Papua might be OK in December.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by gracetandil on 14/11/2011 at 18:51

Can any of you tell me what kind of rain is it in November? Is it heavy rain or is it possible to walk normally? I mean, is it that kind of rain which you canĀ“t do anything? Because some of you say November is rainy but ok, the weather forecast says "rain" everyday. I am planning my trip for next year. Thank you. Graciela. gracetandil@yahoo.com.ar

#6 gracetandil has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by busylizzy on 14/11/2011 at 22:55

I just left a friend behind in Bali a week ago. While I was on the west and north coast, I had virtually no rain. Same in Kuta/Legian area. On the drive through the central highland, we got dumped on for an hour or two with some seriously heavy rain.

My friend has just spent the last week in Ubud and has had massive thunder storms every day. I think they have been hitting midday for an hour or so, and again in the evening. He has been able to get out and about in the mornings without problem and is just keeping an eye on things in the afternoon as he moves about.

I was in Bali, Lombok and Flores 2 years ago from Sept - Nov and again, had very little rain except near the end when in Lombok in early November. In that case, we got a dump of raim for an hour or so on a couple of day.

In these cases, the rain never stops us. You just work around it.

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by mooball on 14/11/2011 at 23:40 TF writer

In Bandung in Java for the past few weeks it has rained a lot. I guess if you were here for tourism purposes, it would still be OK, but just a little bit annoying if you were planning to get around on a motorbike. I guess the thing about the wet season is that it's usually wet, but not for the whole day. So take an umbrella and be patient.

#8 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 433
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by gracetandil on 15/11/2011 at 03:47

Thank you. I will take those tips into account. I have had some experiences with heavy rain in Hue, Vietnam, and it seemed it was never going to stop. So, if that happens in Indonesia, well, I think it might cause some problems.

#9 gracetandil has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by tezza on 16/11/2011 at 23:24

Maybe far western areas are a bit different. I was on Sumatra last century in early December and it was definitely dry season then. I kinda remember from research that a lot of Sumatra is like the Thai Andaman - wet season mid year, dry season November to April/May.

But Sumatra is a biiig island over a biiiig latitudinal range - I think southern areas may be a bit different in their rainy seasons.

#10 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.