Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia additions forum

new to travelling any pointers ?

Posted by Danielv2110 on 30/7/2014 at 04:16

I am going to Indonesia on the 24th of august and want some ideas about things.

I am going for 2 months and would like to stay in Jakarta a few days no more than 5 just to get my feet on the ground i want to meet people aswell as I am travelling alone, ( any ideas on where is best to stay.) i was thinking of heading south east using the train to Bogor, Bandung, (also maybe stopping at cianjar, ) i want to stop in pangandaran bay) as i read its a good place to learn to surf, (any thoughts on this? ) from there I was going to go in to Yogyakarta and on to solo then on to ketapang for the ferry to bali.

where should I go inbetween solo and ketapang and if i dont want to take the train as it seems to take a long way round what would be the best way?

also are there any areas of java that i'm missing that i must see.

also where is best to leave the country after 30 days to extend your visa? could i get to bali in 30 then fly to singapore? i have found a flight £107 return is this any good?

thanks for any help you can give me.

#1 Danielv2110 has been a member since 28/7/2014. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 23
 Send Danielv2110 a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by SBE on 30/7/2014 at 16:35

also where is best to leave the country after 30 days to extend your visa? could i get to bali in 30 then fly to singapore? i have found a flight £107 return is this any good?

No need to go to Singapore because you can extend the 30 day VOA within Indonesia but why don't you just get a 60 day tourist visa in your passport before you arrive? You already know you'll be there for 2 months and it'll save you time hassle and money. You can get a 60 day visa from Indonesian consulates outside the country. Fees and processing times vary slightly depending on which consulate you use but they usually ask for a photocopy of your flight tickets in and out of the country and 2 passport photos as well as the visa fee (which is significantly less than 107 quid).

I can't help with your itinerary much because I've seen very little of Java but most backpackers head to Jalan Jaksa when they're in Jakarta . Jalan Jaksa has got lots of cheap guesthouses, is easy to get to cheaply from the airport (there's a Damri bus stop nearby) and it's the place you're most likely to meet fellow tourists (plus alcoholic expats) but there's not a whole lot to do or see and there's no way I'd waste 5 whole days "getting my feet on the ground" there. If it were me I'd be getting out of Jakarta ASAP but everyone's different... see how you feel once you're there and don't book more than a couple of night's accommodation in advance.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Danielv2110 on 31/7/2014 at 05:40

i have to go out as when i booked my flights i got a bit exited and forgot there are 31 days in each month so i am in indo for 62 days, i have checked out a flight to singapore which will cost around 80 quid ill stay there for two days then return to bali or lombok depending on how much time i had in bali the first time.

thank you for the heads up on jakarta i will shorten that leg of the trip then to 2-3 days depending on jet-lag.

thank you for your help I will look into jalan jaksa, i was looking at six degrees hostel in jakarta, it has good reviews on both TripAdvisor and the two hostel sights, however seems more expensive than others I have looked at, i need to make some friends as I am travelling alone.

thank you so much for your reply :)

#3 Danielv2110 has been a member since 28/7/2014. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 23
 Send Danielv2110 a private message 

Posted by kuekering on 11/5/2015 at 03:45

if you want to visit Indonesia, do not forget to stop by the Indonesian capital Jakarta Ie.
Jakarta has a lot of Indonesian culture, as well as many well-known with Indonesian food and a variety of cookies that can be made by the guys for your family

#4 kuekering has been a member since 11/5/2015. Posts: 2
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 11/5/2015 at 13:48

Kuekering - ahhh dude, he started his post by saying he was going to Jakarta :

"I am going for 2 months and would like to stay in Jakarta a few days no more than 5 just to get my feet on the ground"

Not sure he'll be going for the cookies though.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.