Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

looking for a place to meditate

Posted by hades410 on 27/7/2014 at 19:00

Hi

For along time I've been looking for a place to start my life over,never figured out how to live modern life, never been outside my country, heard a lot of stories about places in the east you could volunteer, eat and live with Buddhists/monks while practicing meditation and finding your serenity.
I know Google can't help find a place like this but maybe you can.
If you know a place like this (preferably as far and remote as possible) maybe not just in japan but in all of Asia, please share it with me

Thank you

#1 hades410 has been a member since 27/7/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 28/7/2014 at 00:57

How "all in" do you want to go? There is a place in Ubon that has a number of foreigners doing what you aspire to. I know another place that has no foreigners and little English spoken and it's pretty remote. Rugged lifestyle. Mosquitos to sleep with, simple food to eat, mat on a hard floor to sleep on. You would be surrendering all creature comforts. My wife has been. There are options, but even the least severe option is a no frills lifestyle.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by hades410 on 28/7/2014 at 04:47

It's "all in" for me. how can i reach this places?

#3 hades410 has been a member since 27/7/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 28/7/2014 at 09:00

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g656472-d2515164-r144908746-Wat_Pah_Nanachat-Ubon_Ratchathani_Ubon_Ratchathani_Province.html

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 28/7/2014 at 10:05

There are several ways to explore this lifestyle before you go all in. One good option might be the Forest Temple (Wat Suan Mokkh) in Surat Thani. They offer 10-day meditation sessions geared towards westerners and others wishing to have a look at the ascetic lifestyle. You could also start out by visiting H20 on Gili Air. It's a spiritual center geared towards folks wishing to cleanse their aura.

Extended travel can also be a great life transition, particularly if you have a little cash and can afford it. Long visits to places like Nepal or Laos come to mind. Stay until time stops having any meaning, and then see what you want to do.

I think a gradual transition may serve you better than rushing from one extreme to another, particularly if you haven't yet experienced the other extreme first hand. Good luck on your journey. Cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,773
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 28/7/2014 at 11:15

Exacto has a point. It's not my way, but might suit some or most.

When Cortez came to the New World, he burned his ships, to better motivate his men. They were committed at that point.

When I moved to Thailand I made several personal decisions to make it almost impossible to move back to the States or Europe. I burned my ships. Sink or swim.

If you come for ten days, you are likely to conclude it sucks and bag it. It's a major lifestyle adjustment. I would try and do something that forced some level of committment so you are not tempted to quit when the suck factor gets really high.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.