Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

Japan is Expensive

Posted by EmelyBryan on 24/2/2016 at 07:06

Is it really that expensive? I would really love to visit and bring my kids there but from what I heard it's very expensive. Any travelling tips for a budget traveller like me :)

#1 EmelyBryan has been a member since 24/2/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by daisybai on 27/4/2016 at 03:48

Japan is considered expensive by backpacker standards. You should expect the same price as when in Western countries.

#2 daisybai has been a member since 27/4/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 3
 Send daisybai a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by daawgon on 27/4/2016 at 14:09

Have you ever considered Taiwan - the costs are moderate, but nowhere near as expensive as Japan. I say Taiwan because the Japanese culture there is quite strong since Japan occupied this country during WWII. I'm planning on 6 days in Taipei, myself, in December - Airbnb rooms are quite affordable there.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159
 Send daawgon a private message   Facebook  

Posted by Tennouji on 2/5/2016 at 08:58

Whether it is expensive or not depends on what you consider expensive. These days, a simple fan-cooled, cold water shower beach hut in Thailand can easily set you back $40 yet, outside of peak times, you can often find a small room with hot bath and air con for 50-60 dollars in Japan. a room in a hostel is less than 3000 yen.

Compared the general costs in the UK, Japan is reasonable. Entry to temples is usually 300-500 yen. A bowl of noodles is 250-400 yen. Public transport is cheap compared to the UK.

#4 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 136
 Send Tennouji a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.