Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

Prepaid SIM in Narita?

Posted by Kmcgregor1 on 12/2/2017 at 22:40

Hi,
I'm travelling to Japan this Friday for 11 days and will be arriving around 7pm.

Is it possible to buy a prepaid SIM at Narita airport? Anyone done this and remember how much they paid?
I only want to access maps, whatsapp and check places to go when I'm out and about.

I also was reading about pocket WiFI, is this generally cheaper than a prepaid SIM? Can I rent one at Narita airport?

Appreciate any help on getting connected when I arrive.

Many thanks :)

Kayleigh

#1 Kmcgregor1 has been a member since 30/1/2017. Posts: 12
 Send Kmcgregor1 a private message   Website   Instagram 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/2/2017 at 23:59 admin

I bought a couple on arrival at Haneda in December and I assume you'll be able to buy at Narita as well. I think it was this one, but I'm not 100% sure.

The sim card about US$30 and came with 2-3 gig of data, but no calls (could use Skype though) and it worked fine. Was able to top up with credit card as I went.

The set-up was quite finicky, you need to change a few settings on your phone to get it to work, but the staffer helped me out (I have an unlocked iPhone).

I didn't try the mobile router thing, though they were available.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,863
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Kmcgregor1 on 13/2/2017 at 03:37

That's fab thank you for the info. I've been told there are kiosks at the airport so I'll hopefully find something.

I have offline maps so probably the only thing I'll be interested in is getting to my hostel ;)

#3 Kmcgregor1 has been a member since 30/1/2017. Posts: 12
 Send Kmcgregor1 a private message   Website   Instagram 

Posted by sherryhuang0818 on 16/2/2017 at 01:46

I dont have SIM card experience but rent a pocket WiFi in Japan before.

very convenient, inexpensive, the point is very easy to use. haha

Maybe you can try https://goo.gl/sdoubj

#4 sherryhuang0818 has been a member since 16/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by Abel on 17/4/2017 at 11:17

My friend travel next month to japan and needs a Japan SIM Card, it's possible to buy online from spain?

Thanks in advance !

#5 Abel has been a member since 17/4/2017. Posts: 1
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.