Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

Japan itinerary

Posted by theresaaowens on 5/5/2017 at 08:04

We are planning a trip to Japan in the beginning of June. My husband and I are travelling with a 10 and 14 year old. We are interested in both the culture and landscape of Japan.
I am afraid this itinerary may be too much but would love to hear some thoughts. We plan to have the JR pass.
Arrive in Tokyo in the afternoon of day one, spend 2 days in Tokyo
Go to Jigokudari on day three in evening and spend the night, visit the onsen, then head to Hakone.
Do the free pass in Hakone (cable car, ropeways) and explore - 1 1/2 days here.
On to Matsumoto - explore Japanese Alps, as well as city of Kanazawa and Inuyama (my son age 10 is an aspriring blacksmith). 2 full days here.
Kyoto for 3 full days
Hiroshima for a day
Kyushu for 3-4 days (Beppu, Takachiho, a volcano (I believe Aso is closed, so we're thinking Sakurajima) and possibly Shimbara penninsula and/or a trip to the ocean somewhere along the line. My kids want to see the Pacific from Japan.
Head back to Tokyo for return flight. 16 days total.
Any thoughts or advise would be most appreciated.

#1 theresaaowens has been a member since 5/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by theresaaowens on 19/5/2017 at 05:27

We have changed this itinerary significantly!
3 days Tokyo
2 days Fuji
2 days Kanazawa
3 days Kyoto
1 day Hiroshima
2 days Kumamoto to Takachiho
1 day Beppu
Fly back to Tokyo

#2 theresaaowens has been a member since 5/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by aliah4 on 22/5/2017 at 03:48

Hello, nice choice by the way. Japan attracts many tourists all over the world because of its unique culture and heritages. Every lane in japan has something to tell you. You will be amazed with the glamorous destination. Your itinerary is quite impressive. My opinion is instead of investing just one day in Hiroshima you can stay there for whole two days. It has got many things to see. I visited Japan for 13 days.

I would love to share my itinerary with you. You will find places as well as accommodation which I preferred there.

Tokyo = Family Inn Saiko
Matsumoto = Matsumoto Tokyu Inn
Kanazawa - Shirakawa - Takayama = Toyoko Inn Kanazawa Kenrokuen Korinbo
Kyoto = Capsule Ryokan Kyoto
Hiroshima = Hotel Gran Casa
Nara = Guesthouse Narakomachi

This was my plan. I can even give you best places to visit in each places with details, if you wish. Hope this will help you.

#3 aliah4 has been a member since 16/2/2017. Location: India. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.