Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

JR pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set

Posted by KIJ25 on 14/7/2017 at 05:53

Hi everyone,

Accommodation is all booked - we just can't decide if we need a 7 day or 14 day JR pass for the following itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive Tokyo Narita airport - Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo area
Day 3: Tokyo - day trip to Kamakura
Day 4: Tokyo - day trip to Nikko
Day 5: Tokyo - Takayama
Day 6: Takayama - Kyoto
Day 7: Kyoto area
Day 8: Kyoto area
Day 9: Kyoto - day trip to Arashiyama
Day 10: Kyoto - day trip to Nara
Day 11: Kyoto - Hiroshima
Day 12: Hiroshima - Miyajima
Day 13: Miyajima - Hiroshima to get the train to Himeji Castle - go back to Tokyo
Day 14: Tokyo area
Day 15: Tokyo - Fly out of Tokyo Narita airport

Also, which day is best to activate the pass?

Many thanks in advance!

#1 KIJ25 has been a member since 14/7/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by gecktrek on 14/7/2017 at 18:23

hey, just depends if you are trying to save some money, i think the 14 day is roughly $520 and the 7 day is $330, but very convenient. when i last travelled there, i stayed in places for 3-4 days at a time, which made booking individual train/bus tickets cheaper than the cost of the jr railpass for me... you can check the prices for the individual sectors on hyperdia, a very useful website!

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 125
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by janamay03 on 18/7/2017 at 19:40

This website has a calculator where you input your itinerary and helps you identify which legs are the priciest and whether a rail pass saves you money. It's not quite as accurate as hyperdia but more user friendly.

I did a similar itinerary with a rail pass, but think I would have been better off buying individual tickets. The rail pass is very convenient though. Also make sure you don't wait until the last minute to buy it; they mail you a physical registration paper that you have to take with you to redeem it. Have a good trip!

#3 janamay03 has been a member since 23/12/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.