Photo: Try the green one.

Japan forum

Okinawa Transportation & Other Islands

Posted by KateEdwards on 2/8/2017 at 22:56

Hi everybody,

I am planning a short trip to Okinawa between now and the end of September.
I was reading a bit about transportation on the "main island", it seems that everybody hires a car, does anyone here have any related experience? Do you really need a car to get around, or can you just make use of public transportation?

Also, I would like to go snorkeling at one of the other islands, any recommendations? I really would like to see turtles:-).

Thank you!

#1 KateEdwards has been a member since 28/7/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Garett on 3/8/2017 at 23:22

Having a car in Okinawa is definitely a must, I have been there once without and once with a car. With a car, I realized that I missed out on so many things when traveling by public transportation. It is quite easy to rent one, you'll have more freedom, and prices are reasonable too.

However, before you arrive in Naha, make sure that your driver's license can be used to drive there. The one time I traveled Okinawa without a car, I actually did rent one, but when I wanted to pick it up at the airport, they didn't want to give me the car because my license wasn't valid. As I remember, I needed to have an official translation of my license, as not all countries' licenses are recognized, but things might have changed.

As for snorkeling, I would recommend a snorkeling day trip from Naha to the Kerama Islands! It was absolutely gorgeous, sea turtles, clear blue water, beautiful coral reef, starfish, etc.

#2 Garett has been a member since 27/7/2017. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by KateEdwards on 9/8/2017 at 04:35

Garett,

Thank you so much for the answer, I think I will get a car then too, and make sure that all my documents are okay to drive there.

As for the actual car rental, is there any company you recommend? Did you book in advance or just arranged everything on-site?

Thanks!

#3 KateEdwards has been a member since 28/7/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Garett on 11/8/2017 at 04:17

Hi Kate,

Yeah, smart choice! As for a car rental company, I would just use google and see what attracts you the most.
Last 2 times I just searched for Okinawa Car Rental, and I went for the most economical option, which I found at Kkdays (they had a nice discount at the time). Don't know if that helps?

Anyway, good luck with your search!

#4 Garett has been a member since 27/7/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by KateEdwards on 15/8/2017 at 03:41

Hi Garett,

Thank you for the advice, this time I booked my rental car through OTS, as they seem to be the only company who allow you to return the car early (i.e. before office hours).

However, for the snorkeling, I found a nice snorkeling tour to the Kerama's on KKday.

I can't wait to take off!

Thanks again

#5 KateEdwards has been a member since 28/7/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.