Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vientiene

Posted by pihapair on 26/3/2010 at 11:53

Hi,On our way to LP this Thursday we have a stopover of 6hrs in Vientiene and wld like to see some of the sites and maybe look at guesthouses for when we have a little more time on this trip. Was thinking of grabing a tuk tuk at random for 6hrs. Any recommendations or alternative advice?
Thanks in advance
K & W

#1 pihapair has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by somsai on 26/3/2010 at 21:58

Usually someone picks me up, but as I remember the tuk tuks are only allowed on the far side of the parking lot. Worth walking across the parking lot. Sounds like a good idea yes.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by christay2009 on 27/3/2010 at 15:49

A friend of mine hired a tuk tuk for 180,000 for 2 hours to take to a bunch of sights - that they agreed on beforehand. He said it was worth it.

I just walked.

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by Barns on 28/3/2010 at 09:24

Apart from the main sights of Patuxay, That Luang and maybe a temple or two, one of the most popular places to visit in my experience is Buddha Park, it's about 19 km out of town but is definitely worth the trip and you should be able to fit it into six hours since there's not much else to see in VTE. It's a park with hundreds of statues, some huge, of buddha and hindu gods etc. I've taken people there eight times and they've all liked it!

#4 Barns has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: Laos. Posts: 16
 Send Barns a private message   Website 

Posted by pihapair on 29/3/2010 at 16:32

Thanks team,all good advice and will be there Thurs.

#5 pihapair has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by Captain_Bob on 31/3/2010 at 22:07

Good reference point to start is the "Namphou" fountain near the river at the bottom of Pangkham Road. Next to it is the Kob Jai Deu restaurant, Green Discovery office, and the Phimphone market. Many tuk tuk guys hang out here and it is a central hub of travelers with many many guesthouses within a few blocks. I just spent a couple nights at the Riverside Hotel a couple streets over - very decent value although at $25 not the cheapest. A ride to the big-3 (Patuxay, That Luang, Buddha Park) would fill a good 3-4 hours, then you can go stand at the Mekong and watch Korean bulldozers push the sand around =)

Hobo Map of Vientiane here
http://hobomaps.com/VientianeCentralMap.html

Riverside Hotel
https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/all/2935

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by pihapair on 1/4/2010 at 10:10

Hi team, Our Air Asia flight KL-VT has been postponed ( iguess not enough bookings) till this afternoon arriving after our lP flight departs!
So now were changing plans to a overnight in VT and try and get a LP flight tomrrow. Not to worried but would have preferred the origanal plan.
The the advice will be utilised anyway,again thanks and happy holidays,
Kev.

#7 pihapair has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.