Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

My Laos itinerary... please can you check it?

Posted by kitsune on 11/4/2010 at 20:11

Hello! I'm off next month for two months to SE Asia on my own. I'm planning to visit Vietnam, Camboya, Laos, Thailand, Malasia y Singapur. Could you please check my Laos itinerary? Thanks!

This was my initial itinerary:

35 10-jun Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong (Huay Xai)
36 11-jun Huay Xai - Luang Nam Tha (all day? how to get there?)
37 12-jun Luang Nam Tha
38 13-jun Luang Nam Tha
39 14-jun Luang Nam Tha - Luang Prabrang (all day? how to get there?)
40 15-jun Luang Prabang
41 16-jun Luang Prabang
42 17-jun Luang Prabang
43 18-jun Luang Prabang - Phonsavan
44 19-jun Phonsavan - Vang Vieng
45 20-jun Vang Vieng
46 21-jun Vang Vieng- Vientaine (in the morning) Visit in the afternoon to Xieng Khuan (Buddha's Park)
47 22-jun Vientaine - KUL

However, the visit to Phonsavan seemed impossible. Moreover, the scenery at Luang Nam Tha seems like that of Luang Prabang or Vang Vieng. So it is worth all the hustle to get to/aways from Luang Nam Tha? So this is a modify version of the itinerary. Could you comment on both? What would you recommend?

35 10-jun Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong (Huay Xai)
36 11-jun Huay Xai - Pak Beng
37 12-jun Pak Beng - Luang Prabang
38 13-jun Luang Prabang
39 14-jun Luang Prabang
40 15-jun Luang Prabang
41 16-jun Luang Prabang - Phonsavan
42 17-jun Phonsavan
43 18-jun Phonsavan-Vang Vieng
44 19-jun Vang Vieng
45 20-jun Vang Vieng
46 21-jun Vang Vieng- Vientaine (in the morning) Visit in the afternoon to Xieng Khuan (Buddha's Park)
47 22-jun Vientaine- KUL

Thank you!

#1 kitsune has been a member since 10/4/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by wanderingcat on 13/4/2010 at 10:18

you might get a better response if you let others know what specific interests you have, what you'd like (not) to see & do, your style of travel, tolerance for long bus journeys, etc...

cos i could just recommend a long list of 50 temples along that route based on my own interests - which would totally bore most people to death...or a route that sees minimal foreigners, which could make you feel rather lonely if you enjoy being in the company of many fellow tourists :P

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 14/4/2010 at 12:24

the area around Luang Nam Tha is much more rustic than Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng - I'd say they are different enough to give it all a go.

To get from Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang you can take a minibus that services from the station - it should take the better part of a day if the roads are as they were back in '08.

Phonsovan is only necessary if you are interested in history. The scenery is just grassy hills with spotted groves of trees. However, the intersection of recent bombing campaigns and ancient stone jars is very interesting. However, the fisrt itinerary though 'possible' is not really - it takes 8 hours to get between LP and Phonsovan.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/4/2010 at 20:50

The numbering system is giving me a headache (day 37 X day 38 Y etc) but I guess you want some kind of plan. Laos road travel can be very slow and prone to breakdowns. Leave a few things to chance.

Huay Xai bus to Luang Namtha leaves 9am and 1230pm at last check, and takes about 4 hours (good road). Worth staying a couple nights there and/or doing some trekking in the region. Or rent a bike and do your own tour and see some local villages. A basic map showing the local area is available free around town as well as here http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/4520151603/sizes/l.

Anyway most of your remaining itinerary is very similar to most travellers (LP,VV,VT) so you will meet lots of people to share ideas with along the way (and see again at the next spot =). I'd just keep your Vientiane-KL flight date in mind and make up the getting there part more flexibly as you go.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by caseyprich on 15/4/2010 at 09:54

flexibility - the key word. good for both schedules and lao buses.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.