Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Hanoi-Sapa-Luang Prabang-Vientiene

Posted by taylor123 on 17/5/2010 at 07:47

Hey

So I'm i'm in vietnam/laos for 17 days in June/July.

The route I'm thinking of taking is about 5 days in Hanoi (including Ha Long). and then up to Sapa and across to Dien Bien Phu and into Laos, eventually to Luang Prabang where I want to do a 6 day trek into the jungle staying with the tribes there (this is through green discovery laos). then onto Vientiane where i have to fly out. i fly into hanoi midday 27 june and out of Vientiane late arvo 15 July.

how long should i take to get to LP and how many on the other side? I know it sounds cliched but i want to get off the beaten track and experience the real vietnam/laos, as well as a few of the established bits (eg ha long).

also a bit worried about the reliability of busses, i have to prebook the trek so should i give an extra day to get there just in case of delays??

Thanks in advance for any help

#1 taylor123 has been a member since 15/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by taylor123 on 17/5/2010 at 07:49

okay i have no idea why ther are url's in the middle of the post, i cant seem to edit them out either??

#2 taylor123 has been a member since 15/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by idreamofdurian on 17/5/2010 at 15:33 TF writer

That's a lot of distance to cover. Are you planning to fly from Hanoi to Laos? The Hanoi to Vientiane overland trip is known as the "bus from hell" and takes 24-30 hours. Then from Vientiane to Luang Prabang is another 10 hours or so by road.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by wanderingcat on 17/5/2010 at 16:21

The route I'm thinking of taking is about 5 days in Hanoi (including Ha Long). and then up to Sapa and across to Dien Bien Phu and into Laos, eventually to Luang Prabang where I want to do a 6 day trek into the jungle staying with the tribes there (this is through green discovery laos). then onto Vientiane where i have to fly out. i fly into hanoi midday 27 june and out of Vientiane late arvo 15 July.

easier to read now :P (think the tags work only after a certain minimum no. of posts)

if read you correctly, you intend to cross from Dien Bien Phu into Laos at the Tay Trang border? & then go from Muang Khua to Luang Prabang?

DBP > Muang Khua: bus = 1 day, arrives MK near sunset (dry season time)

possible routes from MK to LPB:
1. MK > Nong Khiaw (5++h slowboat) > LPB (5++h slowboat, or 3+h road)
2. MK > Oudomxay (3+h bus) > LPB (5h bus)
(also possible to go from Oudomxay to Nong Khiaw)

trekking available at Oudomxay, Muang Khua, Nong Khiaw & LPB (in descending order of 'off the beaten track-ness').

IMHO, Muang Khua > Nong Khiaw boat ride beautiful, & both Muang Khua & Nong Khiaw are worth a bit more time than just passing through.

#4 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by wanderingcat on 17/5/2010 at 16:24

just realised that the original post included quotation marks in the URLs - have removed them:

#5 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/5/2010 at 10:26 admin

Sorry there is some link craziness going on due to the edit function which I'm still working on. Apologies.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by taylor123 on 18/5/2010 at 10:38

Sounds like it takes a long time to get between everywhere by bus, I'd love to stay for a while everywhere but I don't have the time on this trip. So would it maybe be a better idea to do as follows.

Stay around Hanoi say 8 days and do Sapa and Ha Long. Then I was going to fly to LP. Then bus it from there to Vientiane? Is that a better idea?

#7 taylor123 has been a member since 15/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by catherine25 on 5/6/2010 at 19:36

Hi

We are going the other way from Luang Prabang to Hanoi in July, it looks like the Na Maew/Nam Xoi is the best border crossing?! I was wondering if anyone had done it/knows the best bus routes to take?

We would like to be able to fly but $200 is a bit too expensive for a one way flight.

Thanks

#8 catherine25 has been a member since 25/5/2010. Posts: 34
 Send catherine25 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.