Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Info on Laos and Bangkok air pass

Posted by longleat on 4/11/2006 at 08:48

Does anyone have current information on the airpass. From what I understand this pass can be used in Laos and Cambodia. $50. per flight withink the country and $90. from one to the other. But I have only read this and really have no confirmation that this is correct. Are there two passes, one through Bangkok airlines on one Lao Airlines? Also, how can this be purchased? Any help would be very much appreciated.

#1 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53
 Send longleat a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/11/2006 at 15:01 admin

Hi longleat,

Have you taken a look at the Discovery Airpass page on the Bangkok Airways website?

It can be used throughout the region -- here is a map marking out the route

The pass is used interchangeably between Bangkok Airways, Lao Airline and Siem Reap Airlines (which is really just a part of Bangkok Airways).

You cannot purchase it in Thailand -- it needs to be purchased via a travel agent outside of there -- I'm not sure if it can be bought in Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam...

Hope that helps -- if you are planning on flying a lot of routes it is a great deal.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by longleat on 4/11/2006 at 22:07

Thanks so much somtam2000! You have given me great information on many posts. Perhaps someone out there knows if I can purchase the pass in Laos. We will not be traveling into Thailand anyway on this trip. Again, thanks!

#3 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by sleepygirl on 6/11/2006 at 08:12

Hi there!!

I've just recently purchased the pass for flights btw Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia! Awesome value! All I did was directly email the local Bangkok Airways office (I'm in Australia) and they just gave me a full listing of all available flights for my itinerary and I booked via email and went to their office to pay! Easy peasy :) The ticket is just like a regular flight ticket but with mulitple destinations/airlines.
I think it's better to buy them beforehand cos certain flight legs are already booked out and they don't necessarily fly frequently per day/every day of the week!

Cheers!

#4 sleepygirl has been a member since 28/9/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by longleat on 6/11/2006 at 20:12

Thanks, Sleepygirl. I will see if I can work through their office in New York. Can you tell me what you paid for the internal flights and also flights from one country to another. I also did not know that the pass can include Vietnam. That is great for me as we plan to go there at the end of our stays in Laos and Cambodia.

#5 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by longleat on 7/11/2006 at 02:00

It seems there is no office for Bangkok Airways in the US. So, does anyone know if the airpass can be purchased once we arrive in Laos or how I can get one before I leave the US? Thanks so much!

#6 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by rincon on 8/11/2006 at 11:12

Call Bangkok airways 1-866-Bangkok and reserve your tickets. They will give you the name of their agent in your area to mail your payment. They have agents in all the major city areas of US. They email the instructions of where to pay including using a credit card, however, they charge 5% for credit card.It couldn't be simpler.

#7 rincon has been a member since 8/11/2006. Posts: 1

Posted by sleepygirl on 8/11/2006 at 14:11

Hi longleat, I paid $50USD for domestic and $90USD international flights plus about $80 of service/processing/fuel fees.

Here are the contact details in New York:

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1421, New York, NY 10018, USA

Toll Free : 1 866 BANGKOK
Fax : (212) 279 6602
Email Address : nyc@bangkokairwaysna.com

Also, for flights to Vietnam the only route is from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi.. so you can't use it for any other city in Vietnam!

Best of luck!! I got contact details from the website, hopefully it is current info so you can pay your tickets by cash, and save the fee for credit card!

Let me know if you have more questions! =)

#8 sleepygirl has been a member since 28/9/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by sleepygirl on 8/11/2006 at 14:32

Hi longleat, I paid $50USD for domestic and $90USD international flights plus about $80 of service/processing/fuel fees.

Here are the contact details in New York:

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1421, New York, NY 10018, USA

Toll Free : 1 866 BANGKOK
Fax : (212) 279 6602
Email Address : nyc@bangkokairwaysna.com

Also, for flights to Vietnam the only route is from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi.. so you can't use it for any other city in Vietnam!

Best of luck!! I got contact details from the website, hopefully it is current info so you can pay your tickets by cash, and save the fee for credit card!

Let me know if you have more questions! =)

#9 sleepygirl has been a member since 28/9/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by longleat on 8/11/2006 at 21:01

Thank you so much! I have sent them an e-mail and hope to get their response soon. You have been such a big help!

#10 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by KPTham1 on 9/11/2006 at 03:10

Hi,longleat,
You may want to check out Laos Airlines Excursion Pass which I think is cheaper.
BKK/VTE/Luang Prabang?chiangmai is only $196 + security charges ,
They also have excursion pass combination to Vietnam, Cambodia and even Kunming ( China).
I just got mine VTE/LPQ/Chiangmai Excursion pass for $117 . Good value I think.
Also, cheaper to fly Air Asia from BKK sometimes.

Pl check out :

www.laos-airlines.com
www.airasia.com

Happy surfing/flying

#11 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Posted by longleat on 9/11/2006 at 04:09

Thanks, KPTham1;
We will not be going to Thailand at all. We will fly from the US into Laos, then on to Cambodia and hope to fly home from HCMC. Does your advice still fit these plans without Thailand? I will also check the sites you mentioned. Thanks!

#12 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by KPTham1 on 9/11/2006 at 11:33

Hi,longleat,
Yes, Loas Air Excursion Passes take you major places in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. You should be able to cover the places you want.

Cheers

#13 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Posted by longleat on 4/1/2007 at 08:13

Re. the Laos Air Excursion Pass: I have found the info on their website. Does anyone know how to purchase from the US? Also, will I need to make reservations for specific flights before we leave the US? We are all set to arrive in Hanoi in May and plan to use the Laos Air Pass to Vientiane and then to Siem Reap. Any advise you can give for booking will be greatly appreciated.

#14 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/1/2007 at 08:52 admin

Hi longleat,

For purchase in the USA, does message #9 above help or was that a dead-end?

I believe you need to book the first date bt that others can set and altered as required.

#15 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by longleat on 4/1/2007 at 20:47

There is an office for Bangkok Air in the US. But I am thinking the Laos Air Excursion Pass is a better value for us according to their prices on their website. So I want to book with them instead. Thanks for any help you can give!

#16 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.