Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Hanoi, need info on bus travel through north east Laos

Posted by itchyfeet on 10/11/2006 at 10:02

I was wondering if anyone has some information on taking a bus from :

Luang Prabang
to
Nong Kiaow
to
Nam Nua (xamnua)
to
Hanoi

I would be grateful for any information on travel times and bus times. We are hoping to get to vietnam within 4-5 days. Also just personal recounts would be helpful too.
thanks to all,
John and Meg

#1 itchyfeet has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/11/2006 at 10:34 admin

Hi itchyfeet,

For Sam Neua to Hanoi see chunk79's excellent report in the visa and border crossing section - it's the last post in the thread.

For Sam Neua to Luang Prabang, see the Sam Neua travel section for some general info, and for Luang Prbaang to Nong Khiaw, see here...

Most of what you're after is on the site ... sometimes some digging is required! We're working on a better way of organising the travel info...work in progress!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by itchyfeet on 10/11/2006 at 20:08

thanks somtam,
If you could clarify something, in the Sam Nuea travel sections, the bus to Vientiane section says it leaves at 7:30am, is this true of the bus going from vientiane to sam nuea (via vang vieng and luang prabang). And do you think i can catch it in Vang Vieng, and ride it to Nong Kiaow?

thanks again,
John and Meg

#3 itchyfeet has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/11/2006 at 07:25 admin

Buses everywhere in laos tend to leave early in the morning, so while I'm not 100% sure, I'd assume they'd be an early departure from vientiane to Sam Neua.

Bear in mind that the concept of "bus timetables" can be pretty loose in laos -- sometimes scheduled buses don't leave till they're full, sometimes on the dot, sometimes not at all. Breakdowns and delays along the way are not at all uncommon.

From Vang Vieng you'll pass through Luang prabang - I'd suggest breaking the trip there - if you haven't been there already, it is an amazing place.

You can also go from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw by boat -- a nice change from a cramped bus...

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by itchyfeet on 11/11/2006 at 09:19

Thanks somtam,
I guess ill just hang out by the street till the bus rolls by. We are passing through Luang Pranbang since we stayed there for 5 days last week, and it was great, especially the 3 waterfalls around town. We are hoping to make the journey to Vietnam without tho much delay, which is why we are not going to stay the night in Luang Prabang. In a week or two my girlfriend and i will be adding alot of reviews and new guesthouses to Travelfish. We really use the site all the time.
John
p.s. I already posted it in the appoproate thread a month before we left, but Meg and I have been blogging from the road, if your interested check the blog thread.

#5 itchyfeet has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.