Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Phongsali - solo traveler

Posted by brr1980 on 10/8/2010 at 21:19

I'm going to be in Laos for about 3-4 this September-October and will be traveling solo. I would very much like to get off the main backpacker strip and was considering making my way up the Nam Ou river to Hat Sa and Phongsali, where I would really like to do some trekking and see the hill tribes. Was also wondering about how feasible it is to get a guide to Phu Din Den NPA. 2007 LP says there are no guided treks there, but I wonder if that has changed?

Anyway, my main question is -- will this be difficult to do if I'm not traveling with a group?

#1 brr1980 has been a member since 15/7/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by brr1980 on 10/8/2010 at 21:20

Whoops, meant to say will be there for 3-4 weeks.

#2 brr1980 has been a member since 15/7/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/8/2010 at 07:58 admin

I was in Phongsali travelling by motorbike and boat earlier this year and blogged a bit about it, so the following could be of interest:
Video of boat from Hat Sa to Muang Khua here

Trip in general here

Story I had about some problems I had on the road to Phongsali here

Trekking is now running in Phu Din Den from Phongsali town. The trips were still being put together when I was there but should certainly be running now. Ideally try and find a couple of other like-minded souls to share the costs. The boat trip is a cracker -- I really enjoyed it and I quite liked Muang Khua too -- there's a bit of a traveller scene there and some nascent trekking there too.

It's not difficult to travel around by boat and there is bus transport as well, though the road from Muang La to Phongsali is one of the worst I've ever ridden on. Lots of roadwork all over the north, so bus travel times can be adversely affected.

More questions? ask away!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brr1980 on 12/8/2010 at 21:10

Thanks for the helpful reply. I did see your blog postings and they were very informative. I'm definitely hoping to find some like minded people to make the trip up with me, though I might be willing to just bear the extra cost for the adventure.

I figured I would probably try to get to Phongsali by boat to Hat Sa, and probably return by bus to Udomxai to make my way towards Luang Nam Tha from there. If the road is really awful, do you think it might make more sense to just return by boat as well?

Also, any idea what the trekking would be like in Phu Din Den? There seems to be almost no info in the guidebooks or on the internet.

So excited to get to Laos! If anyone else will be traveling there through September and might be looking for like minded people to get off the beaten path, please feel free to get in touch!

#4 brr1980 has been a member since 15/7/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by Bedeenka on 10/10/2010 at 10:03

Hi, I am just now in Muang Sing, having a motorbike and going for couple days in mountains.. If there is someone around this area, who wants to go from Muang Khoua to Phongsali by boat and than little bit more up to north, feel free to contact me.. For a single girl it s not so much fun.. ;) I am on my email jelen@afro.cz, sorry for spamming your forum..

#5 Bedeenka has been a member since 10/10/2010. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.