Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

travel books

Posted by ptgirl on 13/11/2006 at 00:42

Hi, i am planning a trip to Laos for Feb/March 2007. I have always been impartial to Lonely planet and Rough Guides for travel. However i notice that up to date editions of both are limited to 2005 for lonely planet and i think 2002 for RG. However i noticed that Footprint has an edition in 2006. Has anyone used Footprint? I have never used it before. Or is the latest version of Laos/lonelyplanet pretty accurate for the current time? Thanks in advance!

#1 ptgirl has been a member since 13/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/11/2006 at 05:54 admin

Hi ptgirl,

Welcome to Travelfish!

LP ar researching their new LP at the moment, but it will be another 9 months at least (closer to a year), before the book is released.

I'm not sure about Rough Guide's update schedule, but their existing book, particularly the background information is excellent.

The new Footprint is very very good. I've not used them much but when I picked up their new Laos book I found it very impressive -- and I'm not saying that because they gave us a plug! Certainly worth a try.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by longleat on 13/11/2006 at 07:28

I believe the new Rough Guide for Laos will be out Feb. 2007.

#3 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53
 Send longleat a private message 

Posted by ptgirl on 13/11/2006 at 10:25

Hi, thanks very much for your posts! Just wondering how easy it would be to pick up say the RG in February if i were travelling in Cambodia/vietnam around that time.

#4 ptgirl has been a member since 13/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by pilgrim on 13/11/2006 at 11:39

The new Rough guides for Lao and Thailand are due out this month. The travel bookstore I just checked with is hoping to have them in the next week or two...
I just bought a Footprints Guide for Cambodia...it looks pretty good and I have heard great feedback about Footprints. I am looking forward to checking it out on the road in the next couple of months.

#5 pilgrim has been a member since 6/8/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by exacto on 13/11/2006 at 11:46

I used the Footprint Guide for Laos on my last two trips there too and it was very good. This last summer when we were in Thailand we met up with one of the researchers from Let's Go, the guidebooks out of Harvard University in the states. She was a lot of fun and quite insightful, so Let's Go might be worth a look too.

The fun of the lesser-used guide books is that you aren't necessarily getting the same recommendations for the same places to stay and eat at the more popular destinations. Sometimes that makes you feel like you've discovered something fun yourself, even if it did come from the book.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ptgirl on 13/11/2006 at 12:00

Thanks again for the great info.! Yes I also agree that it is nice to use some of the guide books that are used a bit less frequently. I think I may give Footprint a try for Laos. In Canada the RG for Laos does not come out until Feb. next year.

#7 ptgirl has been a member since 13/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by ptgirl on 13/11/2006 at 12:01

Thanks again for the great info.! Yes I also agree that it is nice to use some of the guide books that are used a bit less frequently. I think I may give Footprint a try for Laos. In Canada the RG for Laos does not come out until Feb. next year.

#8 ptgirl has been a member since 13/11/2006. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.