Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

SaiGon ---> Luang-Prabang - Price of flight ticket?

Posted by quan1201 on 16/8/2010 at 22:43

Hello,
I plan to fly from SaiGon SGN (VietNam) to Luang-Prabang LPQ in November 2010. I found out that the VNAirlines flight ticket from SGN to LPQ via HaNoi and back would cost about USD 520.--. The VNAirlines flight ticket from SGN to Vientiane and back costs about USD 460.--. Are these prices normal or usual? Kind regards, Quan

#1 quan1201 has been a member since 16/8/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Hemsi on 16/8/2010 at 23:08

Oh wow, I've been checking for similar routes (SGN-VTE, VN Airlines). That's really expensive ... Is it because of the high season?

#2 Hemsi has been a member since 6/3/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/8/2010 at 01:40

Unfortunately there are no budget airlines into Luang Prabang and from Bangkok, HCMC, Hanoi, etc. it's expensive ($184 Hanoi-LP one way on Laos Airlines). Even using Jetstar to fill the HCMC-Hanoi segment ($63) you still end up looking at $500 round trip to LP and back.

Air Asia does HCMC-Kuala Lumpur flights for $40 promotional fare or $87 standard fare. Then KL-Vientiane for $50 promo or $106 standard. So if you can grab those promo fares it could come out pretty cheap. You can do Vientiane-LP on Laos Airlines for $84 or take a ten-hour bus ride.

Or take Air Asia HCMC-Bangkok and do a sleeper train to the border or fly to Udon Thani and take a quick bus to the border. Bunches of ways, none of which are both cheap and easy.

Or just pay the $500 and skip all the above hassles. The only way cheap to LP is by land, and then it's really cheap but ex-HCMC would take days.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by quan1201 on 17/8/2010 at 02:08

To: Captain_Bob
Thanks for your answer and your advice.
Kind regards,
Quan

#4 quan1201 has been a member since 16/8/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.